SOLVED Persistent Google Chrome Failure

Reaction score
This problem should be sent to the Chrome help site but despite it being a widespread and long-standing fault Google does not acknowledge it, let alone provide a solution. Their help phone lines refer to the standard (useless) checklists. Therefore, perhaps someone here has some info.

Problem: After many months of performing flawlessly, Google Chrome fails to display any sites, even those sites which work with other browsers. Instead, it produces the notorious "Aw, Snap!" message (see the attachment). This happened to me after my computer crashed after failing to boot on my Recovery Drive. I have no Google extensions and have switched off Malwarebytes and AVG. The rest of my computer and its software are OK.

Has anyone here got any help on this? If not, I will, like many others, just ditch Chrome.

Chrome error msg.JPG

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Stevekir,

A couple of things you can do is:
  • click the Hub > Settings > About

Goal to check for and update browser

Sample Image

Untitled.png

• Click the Hub > Settings > Scroll down and click Show advanced settings > Scroll down to Privacy and remove check next to "Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly" if present.

Sample Image

Untitled2.png

Reaction score
Thanks, but I can't even get Chrome to load, so can't see the page you posted.

All the help available starts with "Open Chrome".

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Stevekir,

Try this first then:
  • Right-click on Chrome in Taskbar
  • Right-click on Chrome that appears in pop-up context menu
  • Select Properties

Sample Image

Untitled.png

• If not all ready showing select Shortcut tab
  • You'll see something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" inside the Target box. Modify this by adding -no-sandbox after chrome.exe

For example:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe -no-sandbox"

• Edit: Made a mistake here: add -no-sandbox after the closing quote

Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -no-sandbox

Sample Image

Untitled2.png

Now click OK

Once making that modification try opening Chrome now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Stevekir,

Try this first then:
  • Right-click on Chrome in Taskbar
  • Right-click on Chrome that appears in pop-up context menu
  • Select Properties

Sample Image

View attachment 3948

• If not all ready showing select Shortcut tab
  • You'll see something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" inside the Target box. Modify this by adding -no-sandbox after chrome.exe

For example:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe -no-sandbox"

Sample Image

View attachment 3949

Now click OK

Once making that modification try opening Chrome now.
I did exactly as you said but got:

Sandbox.JPG

I thought that it was possible to put anything (other than banned file characters) in a shortcut name.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Oops sorry, I made a mistake

The target path ought to say:

For 32-bit Chrome

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -no-sandbox

Or for 64-bit Chrome:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -no-sandbox

Reaction score
You have succeeded where dozens of others have failed! Chrome now works. Thanks a million. I didn't know that a command could be added to a shortcut title. Interesting.

I note that Chrome now produces a warning:
Samndbox-02.JPG

What is the nature and extent of the security warning? Could it result in penetration of my computer, or spam?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Stevekir,

Yes the reason Google does not support this option officially is because Sandboxing is a form of protection from certain processes that if abused could introduce Malware to your system.

They have a cute cartoon explaining this here: https://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/med_26.html

Ultimately, Google would recommend using a different browser for things like Internet Banking, if your only option to get Chrome working is to use this flag.

I suspect though given it now opens and works, what you actually need to do is go into Chromes settings and adjust the Security options, and possibly do the same with any antivirus/firewall security software you are running on your system. If you able to adjust these to a satisfactory level you should then be able to use Chrome without that -no-sandbox flag.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Stevekir,

Yes the reason Google does not support this option officially is because Sandboxing is a form of protection from certain processes that if abused could introduce Malware to your system.

They have a cute cartoon explaining this here: https://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/med_26.html

Ultimately, Google would recommend using a different browser for things like Internet Banking, if your only option to get Chrome working is to use this flag.

I suspect though given it now opens and works, what you actually need to do is go into Chromes settings and adjust the Security options, and possibly do the same with any antivirus/firewall security software you are running on your system. If you able to adjust these to a satisfactory level you should then be able to use Chrome without that -no-sandbox flag.

Regards,

Regedit32
The cartoon is nice. I notice it discusses jailing only one of Google's processed. I wonder how they decide on the right one.

I used to use Chrome as my main browser (because my computer guy said it was reliable) but I am happy with Edge, with Firefox as a standby (in case Edge goes bad like Chrome!). I will leave Chrome as another backup browser (I'm a pessimist.) I use Paypal, Ebay and Amazon but not Internet banking. However, I will look at Chrome's setting as you mention.

Many thanks.

Reaction score
What I would do at this point would be to uninstall Chrome completely, 64 bit and 32 bit ( if it is there) Then reload from the official download.

Ask a Question