POP and IMAP co existing?

Reaction score
My main home PC I'm running office 2010 and will upgrade to 365 soon. That said I like to have email downloaded on main PC, naturally mail no longer visible when on other PC at home or notebook away from home.
My options
1- just use IMAP and be done, but concerned how secure messages/files are and what happens if (Xfinity) looses them?

2- leave main PC pop and others setup for IMAP and once back on main PC all gets downloaded and deleted from Xfinity.
but will IMAP update for mail no longer there?

3- I'm open for suggestions, Thanks

Reaction score
IMAP and POP3 at the same time is impossible. As you said correctly POP3 is for downloading emails so they are stored on the computer. That does not mean they will be deleted on the server. There will still be a copy of your emails on the server so other PC's that have access to your account can download them as well. IMAP is like synchronizing folders. If you delete emails on your computer, they will be deleted on the server as well so others cannot get them.
In your case I would recommend POP3 on your account. However, at some point your mailbox will be filled up and a manually cleanup needs to be done (this happens always with my Boss's email account which is POP3 ).

I hope I explained this correctly. you might want to check for other responses as well....

Reaction score
Thanks for replying.
Currently I have POP3 to delete mail off server after download. When-if I go IMAP is there an option to save a very important email to my PC, and if so how? I still haven't found an answer if office 2010 will run o win11

Reaction score
I think you need to update to a more modern email system. Office 2010 is not supported by MS.

If you need a free one, emclient is really good and supports up to two accounts without having to pay. And, you have Libre Office for the rest of the suite.

Imap synchronises local and server folders and emails, so you don't need to do anything. If you are offline, then you have all the mails that were synched until you went offline. When you go back online, it re-syncs.

POP3 is very old and insecure. I am surprised it's still being supported.

Alan

Reaction score
I'm going have to go 365 soon as it looks like more and more are going rental software. I'll one of the others on my second PC, but teaching the wife something new will cause wife/hubby issues.

Reaction score
Then you don't need POP or iMAP. You just download Outlook and let it do it's stuff. If you don't have Outlook, use EM Client, which is free.

Alan

Reaction score
For what it is worth, I had a pop / IMAP problem when I wanted to have Outlook synced on my desktop and my new laptop for business. Pop can't do that. What I ended up doing, with the free tech support you get with Office 365, is change Outlook on both computers to IMAP. MS tech support took over both computers remotely and made it happen! That took care of the email but did nothing for the calendar and contacts that I used to only have on my desktop. For those I purchased "CompanionLink." It syncs the calendar and contacts between the desktop and laptop Outlooks and stores all of the information in their cloud for free. They have a paid tech support for instant help or a very, very competent free support for the life of the program that takes a day or so via email or conversation. I've used the program since it was first offered and have never felt I was lacking anything with the free support. CompanionLink also syncs the calendar and contacts to your phone Android or Apple. (Outlook for Android is a whole other world so I haven't been able to get that to work on my phone yet.) I even found a workaround online for my desktop and laptop to allow you to use color categories in IMAP which is not available in IMAP directly. I'm afraid to be too happy about how well everything is working right now because MS might get wind of it and send out another "update" that I can't overcome.

Reaction score
But with Office 365, you don't use either. Just let Outlook itself decided. It then keeps everything (contacts, calendar and email) synched automatically. I do this all the time. I have 3 machines (two windows 10 and 1 WIndows 11) and they all just sync.

Alan

Ask a Question