Possessed computer mouse?

Reaction score
So I am having a strange issue with my CMStorm computer mouse with a windows 10 I am borrowing from my school (my computer is awaiting a replacement power cable). At first things were working fine but the other day I encountered a problem that I shall now explain in detail.

The computer runs fine until I plug in the mouse. When I do so, the cursor on the screen will move around as normal but hovering the mouse over an icon fails to have it light up and when I click it doesn't register
-EXCEPT-
if I am in Google Chrome and click on a tab, the computer will close that tab as if you were holding down a hotkey to instantly close down the tab. Figuring one of the other buttons on my mouse may be jammed, I unplugged it, and found that the touchpad on the computer now has the same issue- registering movements but not clicks- aside from closing tabs when I click on them. With this is mind, I figured it must be a driver issue, ran some checks, found no issues, then discovered that this same error happens when I plug the mouse into a different computer. Clearly then, it seems to be a problem with the mouse, but I have no idea what could be causing it as it destroys the functionality of the touch pad as well until I hold the power button to turn off the computer. It seems like a software issue, but it is affecting multiple machines.

Any thoughts? Thanks ahead of time for any input.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Did you install the driver/software package for your mouse on the PC you are currently using?

Reaction score
Did you install the driver/software package for your mouse on the PC you are currently using?

I have not manually installed anything, but the mouse was functioning properly for a week before it started acting up. I did not install anything on the second computer which I has tested it with then encountered the same issue.

Reaction score
I haven't been able to locate anything online for a designated driver for it. Everyone seems to be saying that it just uses the standard mouse drivers and they refer to it as a usb plug-and-play. One example is the last post of this link, were a guy asks for a link for the driver and is told there is no such thing. http://community.coolermaster.com/index.php/topic/11645-cm-storm-devastator-mouse-functionality/

It is the CMStorm Devastator model if that helps.

I just plugged it into a third computer- a windows 7, and it basically has the same issue. When plugged in, the computer did install the "USB optical device driver." Can't click on any buttons on the bar at the bottom of the screen- though the icons on the desktop at least light up when hovered over (still can't open them). Plugging it in on that computer also destroyed the other mouse's functionality and meant I had to turn off the computer by holding the power button. I actually read up on if a mouse could carry a computer virus, but I don't think my device has any internal memory.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If the device seems to be doing the same thing on both a Windows 10 computer as well as a Windows 7 computer you may want to consider that either the interface cable has an issue or perhaps the internal electronics are bad or failing.

Ask a Question