Previous problems

Reaction score
I installed the first release of Win 10 back in the summer, and had a mass of problems - only after much hassle did I manage to revert to Win 8.1.

I'm about to be brave enough to try again, since the new release ("Schedule") claims to have solved some problems and add some new features. Can anybody tell if any of the following issues I experienced then are likely to have been rectified:

- WinKey didn't bring up any Apps, though it did work with R and the Left / Right arrows;
- all my Jump Lists disappeared, and I couldn't access the necessary Toolbar Properties to turn them on, with the same error message as Edge (below(;
- Edge wouldn't r n at all, saying "Class not registered"
- the screen flashed black on and off.

I'm not expecting solutions to any of the above (though any helpful remarks will be welcomed) - only if there's a suspicion that they might have been resolved.

This time I have updated all my drivers, using the Driver Booster 3 program.

Reaction score
I would encourage you to proceed to Windows 10. Although some users experience problems with Edge, you may not. I do not use any of Microsofts offerings and am generally trouble free. Good luck.
I love Windows 10 after becoming familiar with it. There is a learning curve but do not be intimidated. It is forth the effort. And you have this forum to help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Whatever you decide, I would encourage you to make a disk image in advance of proceeding, so you have a reasonably strong fall back position in the event that some of those problems still occur on your particular machine.
The upgrade process seems to be very unique to the particular machine and its' installed software, so......
What might be a completely painless and seemingly simple process for one person might be an unmitigated disaster for another. There are just too many variables involved in the process to project what your personal experience might be.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Reaction score
Thanks - good advice! I've got both a System Image and a complete backup of the C Drive on (separate) USB disks, plus all my documents, emails, photos, etc, are backed up, so I should be OK.

Ask a Question