SOLVED Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device.

Reaction score
Each time that I click the Safely Remove Hardware and eject media, it now displays a window showing [ *Device is currently in use, Close any programs or windows that might be device ]. In this instance program is Libre Office, this is closed and a restart of computer has no effect at clicking Safely remove Hardware button, for [* window reappears]. Any suggestions? thank you.

Reaction score
When that happens I just shut down the computer, and pull it out. It happens a lot when I do backups to my external hdd. Sometimes it ejects, sometimes not.

Reaction score
Each time that I click the Safely Remove Hardware and eject media, it now displays a window showing [ *Device is currently in use, Close any programs or windows that might be device ]. In this instance program is Libre Office, this is closed and a restart of computer has no effect at clicking Safely remove Hardware button, for [* window reappears]. Any suggestions? thank you.
Most programs that allow saving files have a 'mini' version of file manager and that could be holding a USB drive in use until it is closed and sometimes more things done so the program has removed itself from memory. Once in awhile I've had success in Task Manager and Restart of File Explorer.

Reaction score
Most programs that allow saving files have a 'mini' version of file manager and that could be holding a USB drive in use until it is closed and sometimes more things done so the program has removed itself from memory. Once in awhile I've had success in Task Manager and Restart of File Explorer.
Hmmm. I've never tried to restart explorer to see if it would eject. I'll have to try that next time.

Reaction score
I usually place the laptop to sleep then remove the USB device if I can’t eject the drive normally.

Ask a Question