problem in formatting D drive

Reaction score
dear friends

i have c,d,e drives in windows 10 64 bit operating desktop system. I removed all files and folders in d drive
and it is empty. I want to format the d drive to increase the size of C drive. But it is not allowing.
It shows the error message

"the dirve is in use another program process using the drive do you want to format it any way? yes or no
on click of yes it shows the message

"windows cannot format this drive, Quit the disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive
and make sure that no windows is displaying the contents of the drive then try formatting again"

I cannot understand where the drive is in use...
plz help to solve this.

thanks and regards
madhu

Reaction score
Presumably, you have your os snd boot on c?

Then, if it were I, (and you are sure you have everything off it, I would just plunge into Disk Management and empty the drive and extend c

Reaction score
Hi madhu,

did you shut down the computer and restart?. It may well have been indexing or doing something similar in the background and that is why you could not access it???. :)

Reaction score
Does it work in Disk Management to delete the D partition then Extend C into that newly unallocated space? Can't have any other partition between the C and D whether lettered or not for it to work.

Reaction score
Bighorn has it. I forgot. You must delete D and then extend c

Ask a Question