SOLVED Pros and Cons on a Microsoft Account vs. a Private Account on Windows 10 laptop?

Reaction score
I need to know the specific reasons other than a sales pitch from Microsoft as to why I should sign into my Microsoft Account on my Windows 10 laptop rather than using a private account.

I had a job running on this laptop overnight and was supposed to run for another few hours, and Microsoft ended the job saying I needed to sign in to my Microsoft account again. Trust me, this is not the way to get me to use their products.

So give me the Pros and Cons please. I have one big Con already.

And please don't use Cortana as a Pro because it doesn't work for me. All I get from it is Something Happened, try later, or Sometheing went wrong, try later. So I guess I have two Cons. All I've found of value in Cortana is the Reminders and you can't even set them up to remind you of something monthly. What kind of reminder system is that?

Reaction score
I have decided to not use my Microsoft account as I did not see any value to it. Cortana was only marginal and most of the time useless, even the Reminders weren't as good as other apps (free ones) that I've found. So this can be marked Solved.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up.
I don't know that there is a particular advantage to one over the other.
I use a MS account on my 10 machine, my wife uses a local account on her 10 machine.
We both seem to make it through the day, without problems or issues.
As with you, I think it is just a matter of choice.

Ask a Question