Pull-down Menu's continually disappear while scrolling to select option

Reaction score
When I scroll to make my selection in a drop-down menu, the menu just disappears before I get a chance to select an option from the menu.

It happens over and over, even when I do my best to be quick in my selection. It is very frustrating when filling out forms, especially when unable to manually type selection in the box.

Is this Windows 10, my computer, or me?

Don't know if it is related or not, but also having frustrations with keyboard... While typing, letters will not show when I type them. I must constantly be reading as I type to make sure each letter appears. Sometimes must hit the key 3-5 times before it appears.

I have a feeling this is not related to Windows 10... just thought I'd mention it too. Took me forever to type this!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reaction score
Fillling out forms is impossible for me, also. Last night when I turned on laptop, the cursor started flashing as it continued to turn around as if it was still loading a program. I could pull up email but the continuous flashing/blinking/spinning was so distracting that I logged out of email and went to another program where I tried to fill out a form. The cursor continued to spin/blink ... would not allow drop-down window to stay down in clickable position. I shut it down!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello to you both and welcome to the forum.
It sounds to me like you have some program / process / service, running in the background that is competing for "focus" which is basically a term that means, what is being attended to by the processor now.
Perhaps try booting your machine using the clean boot method and see if that provides any relief.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
If so then you will need to investigate further to zero in on the offending culprit.

Reaction score
Thanks, Trouble, but the link you gave for clean boot info doesn't include Windows 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It works the same on Windows 10 as it did for 8 and 8.1 the procedure is identical I don't think you will find any differences.

Reaction score
Did the solution from Trouble about doing a clean boot, did it work? I have exactly the same problem with my new laptop on Windows 10. I am not techy minded and new to Windows 10 and I don't want to try this reboot thing unless I know it will work. I am kinda scared I mess up something on my new laptop.

Reaction score
Did the solution from Trouble about doing a clean boot, did it work? I have exactly the same problem with my new laptop on Windows 10. I am not techy minded and new to Windows 10 and I don't want to try this reboot thing unless I know it will work. I am kinda scared I mess up something on my new laptop.
It worked for me

Reaction score
I chickened out of trying a clean reboot as not competent with pc stuff. However, I fixed mine another way. I found a setting somewhere that controls the cursor speed. I slowed down the cursor speed and that has fixed the problem with the drop-down menus and also the problem with the cursor moving on before registering letters that I have typed. Even though I slowed down the speed the cursor still whizzes around the screen quickly so it must have been set too fast at the factory. Hope this helps somebody else that is scared of 'clean reboots'.

Reaction score
This got on my nerves for months. I have 3 monitors and i was constantly having issues. Click on a drop down menu, go to pick an item, move mouse to make the choice,window would dissappear. Same thing with windows that are minimized on the task bar. Hover your mouse over the window on task bar,you go to click on it it dissappears.
SOLUTION:
Windows 10 goto "ease of access center" then goto "make the mouse easier to use"
look for the setting "Make it easier to manage windows"
Uncheck the check box "Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse"

Pass the word and mark this as {SOLVED}
9025de04ab014793832987bc2e4b2d7a.png

Thanks Micro-sucks!

Reaction score
I found a much easier solution than risking a clean reboot and rebuild.
I just used LibreOffice. Worked perfectly with no fuss.

Reaction score
When I scroll to make my selection in a drop-down menu, the menu just disappears before I get a chance to select an option from the menu.

It happens over and over, even when I do my best to be quick in my selection. It is very frustrating when filling out forms, especially when unable to manually type selection in the box.

Is this Windows 10, my computer, or me?

Don't know if it is related or not, but also having frustrations with keyboard... While typing, letters will not show when I type them. I must constantly be reading as I type to make sure each letter appears. Sometimes must hit the key 3-5 times before it appears.

I have a feeling this is not related to Windows 10... just thought I'd mention it too. Took me forever to type this!

Thanks for any suggestions.

This got on my nerves for months. I have 3 monitors and i was constantly having issues. Click on a drop down menu, go to pick an item, move mouse to make the choice,window would dissappear. Same thing with windows that are minimized on the task bar. Hover your mouse over the window on task bar,you go to click on it it dissappears.
SOLUTION:
Windows 10 goto "ease of access center" then goto "make the mouse easier to use"
look for the setting "Make it easier to manage windows"
Uncheck the check box "Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse"

Pass the word and mark this as {SOLVED}
9025de04ab014793832987bc2e4b2d7a.png

Thanks Micro-sucks!

THIS WORKED FOR ME. The clean boot did not help.
Type "Make mouse easier to use" in search box (bottom left in Windows 10).
Uncheck box "Activate window by hovering over with mouse". Make sure the box is UNCHECKED.
Apply.
You should be good to go from here.

It took me weeks of search and trying recommendation, but this is the only one that worked on my Windows 10 Outlook issue.

Reaction score
To fix the disappearing Pull Down boxes in Outlook, do the following:

Search: MAKE MOUSE EASIER TO USE, in Windows 10 search box at bottom corner of screen.
Find link: Make Mouse Easier to Use. CLICK on it.
UNCHECK box: Activate window by hovering over with mouse.
APPLY.

Reaction score
Go to Credential Manager (you can use the search box and type Credentail).
Under Windows Credentials, remove all credentials beginning with MicrosoftOffice16_Data.
Restart Outlook.

Above are general instructions. Below, the specifics get lengthy.

Click on the X in the upper right corner of Outlook to close it. If it asks if you want to save your work, click Yes.
In Windows 7, click on the Start button.
In Windows 10, click on the Type Here To Search.
Type the word credentials.
You should see Credential Manager at the top of the search list. Press the Enter key.
Make sure you are looking at Windows Credentials. There is an icon near the top of the window in Windows 10. Click on it if it's not highlighted.
There will be three, four, maybe more credentials under Generic Credentials beginning with MicrosoftOffice16.
Click on the down arrow at the end of that line.
There will be several lines of fairly useless information.
The last line will be blue and have the word Remove. Click on Remove.
The line will disappear.
Remove all credentials beginning with MicrosoftOffice16.
Click on the X in the upper right corner of the window to close it.
Start Outlook.
Click New Email.
Click Attach File.
The menu with a list of files should stay there until your pick one.

New MicrosoftOffice16 generic credentials will be automatically created. As long as everything works, you can ignore them.

Ask a Question