Queuing for copying

Would you like to be able to queue your copies?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi there...

So I was copying stuff to my USB flash drive from my Windows 10 machine but unfortunately I couldn't copy everything at once as it was all in different locations. I can copy one thing and pause the rest but I have to manually start the next copy so I was wondering if Microsoft could add in a feature on Windows 10 to queue copy's so it automatically starts the next copy and was wondering if anybody else would find this feature advantageous?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Sonik,

That is an interesting thought you have there.

I suppose if Microsoft were willing to do that they'd build in a feature similar to Windows Update queue that ensures certain packages are installed first before others that need to wait.

The one drawback I can see though in terms of queuing file movement is not everyone has identical machines and in some cases queuing of file transfers may in fact result in a hung windows service, and then file corruption which is not noticed could lead to a novice user thinking they have a nice sound backup which when needed will prove to be anything but.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32

Thank you for responding.
Ok, I see your point and understand that there may be cases where things may get corrupt, but let's be honest, that could happen on any normal cut/copy as well (which I've had many times) so here are my thoughts:

1. I don't think this would be a problem when copying files as your original file still stays on the machine so should anything happen to your copy, normally your original file is still perfectly safe, so maybe at least this could work just for copying?
2. When transferring/moving a file (cutting and pasting) and there's a problem, normally I find that it reverts and the original file goes back to where it was (not always but in general), the problem I see here would be a power outage (which currently is still technically a problem even on a small file).

So you have given me an idea as it looks like the only way to get this right would be to copy everything I would like to copy into one location on the local machine first and then copy it to my flash drive or ext hard drive (If they could get it to automatically do that, that would also work. You would just have to make sure you have enough space on the PC in order to do this if you are transferring a lot of data).

So my idea would be (if they could), like when burning a CD or DVD, it gets cached before transferring (so maybe an option where you could choose if you want to copy/cut it immediately or add it to like a playlist (a copylist or cutlist)) and then once you click paste it copies/moves everything at once (I hope I'm making sense here).

Please let me know what you think and if you maybe have any ideas.

Regards,

Sonik

Regedit32

Reaction score
In that scenario you could just create a specific folder within File History then include those files you want back ups of. Then attach an external drive and set it up for File History which can be set to automatically back up files every 10 minutes, 60 minutes etcetera.

Just type File History Settings in your search box to see what I mean.

When you disconnect the external drive or it becomes too full, the automatic backup caches files on your System drive instead and will automatically send them to the external drive when its reconnected or has sufficient space to allow for a backup to be performed.

Reaction score
Thank you for the tip as I have been wondering about File History and will see if this could help me but I still don't think it would be as streamlined as it could be and how user friendly (easy) would that be for a novice user to understand and use? Maybe something to think about but thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Reaction score
I too was happy to see file queuing (albeit loosely) added to Windows 10, but also agree that the current limitations are unfortunate. You can checkout TeraCopy as a 3rd party tool that supports just what you are talking about. The basic version does what you need out of the box, and the pro version allows more advanced stuff, like canceling individual file copies.

Reaction score
I too was happy to see file queuing (albeit loosely) added to Windows 10, but also agree that the current limitations are unfortunate. You can checkout TeraCopy as a 3rd party tool that supports just what you are talking about. The basic version does what you need out of the box, and the pro version allows more advanced stuff, like canceling individual file copies.

Wow... I can't believe I came across this post again 2 and a half years later (Sorry for not responding, Life happened and I completely forgot about this post). Thank you grandoth for your post/reply, I have been using TeraCopy ever since you suggested it and haven't regretted it. It was exactly what I was looking for. Just wanted to say Thanks.

Reaction score
Wow... I can't believe I came across this post again 2 and a half years later (Sorry for not responding, Life happened and I completely forgot about this post). Thank you grandoth for your post/reply, I have been using TeraCopy ever since you suggested it and haven't regretted it. It was exactly what I was looking for. Just wanted to say Thanks.
I had completely forgotten about my 1 and only (well, now 2) post(s). You didn't need to, but it's nice to see when things are getting less and less personable (or going so far as people being rude, entitled, or toxic) with anonymity on the web. Thanks for saying thanks :) even years later. Have a great day!

Ask a Question