SOLVED Raid 5 with 2 ssd’s and 1 hdd

Reaction score
So, I had a weird idea, but a great one to make my computer a whole lot better. First of all, I have windows 10 on my 1tb ssd, then another 120gb ssd (used to be boot drive) and a 2 tb hard drive. What I thought I could do was partition off some of my ssd and hard drive and combine it with the other 120gb ssd and put them in raid 5. This would mean that data is stripped across the two ssd’s and copied on the hard drive. Now, is there a way to tell it to copy it to the hard drive rather than let windows choose? I can’t find anything about choosing which drive is the parity drive. I would love to take advantage of the raid 0 speeds along with the safety of raid 1. Btw, I don’t care about the slow write speeds or reduced storage. I would just like a bit of speedy storage. Can this be done or do I have to leave it to windows to slow everything down by stripping with the hard drive against my will? Btw, this will be using windows 10 software raid as opposed to raid in the bios, as my motherboard does not support that. Also, I will not be booting off of this drive, only for games.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This is just my opinion, which of course you can take or leave as you see fit.

First of all..... Not a big fan of Software Raid
Second.... I believe software raid in Windows 10 requires "Dynamic Disks" also not a big fan.
Third.... Incorporating a spinner in an SSD array seems like it would reduce throughput of the SSD to that of the spinner
Fourth... I'm not sure how Windows 10 would handle normal maintenance of an array containing both SSDs and Spinners, such as passing a Trim command as opposed to Defrag.

My suggestion would be to use the SSDs as your boot and data drives in a normal configuration
AND
Your spinner to host backups / images of your two SSDs.

Reaction score
I would agree 100% . Your Raid setup would have only the speed of the magnetic HDD (also known as spinner), therefore abandon the advantages of the SSD's. The chain is only as strong as the weakest link comes into play in a big way if you continue this route. I personally was never friendly towards RAID systems in general, so this is where my expertise basically ends although I know about the different Raid configurations.
Also remember: the raid system is only as large as your smallest drive....

Ask a Question