RE : Win Update - registry editing

Reaction score
In my Win 8.1.1 Pro, I set Windows Update in Manual.
Looking at the registry, the Auto update value is 3. ( see screenshot 1)

If I go to registry in Windows 10 TP, and change the value to 3 instead of 4, that should set my windows update to Manual. Yes ?
IF yes, do I need to change the CachedAUOption value to 3 also ?
( see screenshot 2 )

Screenshot 1...............
1.jpg

Screenshot 2....................
Image 15.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't honestly think it is an omission or a bug. MS probably wanted to control the updates at this stage, as it is only a preview. I changed it because it annoyed me that something could be updated which would change, or destroy, my setup.

Reaction score
Everything still running normally Dave? My Windows Update has gone back to showing never checked and never installed updates until I run a manual check. I'd like to have a bit more control over any updates showing up, but, Defender updates are showing up with the option to install and there was a Technical Preview update (KB3001512) that showed up with the option to install so it wasn't automatic. The auto update option is still grayed out so I can't change it but it appears some updates are not installing automatically.

Reaction score
Everything still running normally Dave? My Windows Update has gone back to showing never checked and never installed updates until I run a manual check. I'd like to have a bit more control over any updates showing up, but, Defender updates are showing up with the option to install and there was a Technical Preview update (KB3001512) that showed up with the option to install so it wasn't automatic. The auto update option is still grayed out so I can't change it but it appears some updates are not installing automatically.

I can't show you with a screenshot because mine is set at Manual.

Go to your Windows Update > click Change Settings > there should be a line telling you WHEN it will check for updates and then install. I think it is 2 am.

Meaning..... it installs updates only at the specifically set time.

Reaction score
Mine was also showing 2AM. I changed it to 9AM. I'll try to remember to manually check earlier and then wait till 0900 to see if any updates will auto install.

Reaction score
Interesting read on the update program. Kind of odd at the moment though that today, for example update history shows a definition update for Defender installed but it also says updates checked never and updates installed never.

Ask a Question