Recovery Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

Reaction score
Ive got an all in one HP pavillion 23 computer and it wont boot up. I get the message that it needs to be repaired. I tried resetting it in the advanced options but it fails every time.
"The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors."

File: \WINDOWS\system32\winload.efi
Error code 0xc000000f

Press ESC for Recovery
Press Enter to try again
Press F8 for Startup Settings
The ESC key is the only one that does anything

Reaction score
Since your computer's boot loader is broken, you're going to have to reinstall Windows.

Use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool on another computer running Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 in order to burn Windows 10 to a DVD or USB device.

Reaction score
Since your computer's boot loader is broken, you're going to have to reinstall Windows.

Use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool on another computer running Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 in order to burn Windows 10 to a DVD or USB device.
The only other computer I have is a windows 10 computer which you only listed up to 8.1. Can I use this computer to burn it to a USB. Then once I have it on a usb what is the process? Thanks in advance

Reaction score
The only other computer I have is a windows 10 computer which you only listed up to 8.1. Can I use this computer to burn it to a USB. Then once I have it on a usb what is the process? Thanks in advance
Yeah, you can use Windows 10 to create installation media for another computer.

Plug in your USB after you have created installation media, and then boot from the USB to install Windows 10 again.

The ESC Key for recovery might let you boot into the USB, but I'm not too sure. F8 should also allow you to.

Reaction score
Looks like bootloader database (boot configuration data registry hive) contains invalid device descriptor. Windows loader just can't figure out which disk it should load \WINDOWS\system32\winload.efi from.

If you didn't reinstall Windows yet, you can fix this problem with Emergency Boot Kit:
http://www.prime-expert.com/articles/b17/fix-0xC000000F-error-reading-boot-configuration-data.php
This article is for BIOS systems and so BCD hive is located in \Boot. Because you have an UEFI system, BCD hive in your case is located in \EFI\Microsoft\Boot.

Ask a Question