SOLVED Registry address bar path is gone !???

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm using Creator's Update (15063.250), and if I go into the Registry, the « Address Bar path doesn't appear ?!?? :(

I checked in the « view » tab, and the option « Address Bar » is selected. But there's no path showing up ! :confused:

Can someone help me with this issue ?

I ran a « sfc /scannow » and there was no violation of integrity.

Thank You for your answers :)

Have a Nice Day ;)

Regedit32

Reaction score
The address bar is present on my computer on the same OS build.

Have you tried to uncheck it then check it again then restart computer?

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,

Have you tried to uncheck it then check it again then restart computer?

Yes I did, and it was the same ?!??

I ran a « Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth », and there's some damage but it can be fixed.
I did a « Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth » using Windows Update directly instead of WSUS, I used a USB device, a DVD... Nothing's working ! :(
I always get the error « 0x800f081f », at around 90%
I guess the problem might be coming from there ?!?? :confused:

God ! One problem leads to another one !

Thank You for your answers :)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Are you using a downloaded ISO image for your DISM execution to take new files from?

Also can you please type in the precise DISM command you are attempting and the full error message its returning, or take a screen shot of the command or powershell console and post that so I can look at it.

The error code you are seeing is usually accompanied by something along the lines the source file cannot be located. Is that what you are seeing?

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,

I used three different ISO, one on a DVD, one I mounted in the Explorer and the media creation tool with the USB device.
I ran another DISM and posted the result.
Capture.PNG

The error code you are seeing is usually accompanied by something along the lines the source file cannot be located
Mine is in French but it is exactly that message.
Thank You and I'll wait for your answer :)
I'll look into that tomorrow, if it's okay with you ?
Thanks !

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK,

Thanks for that.

A couple of other questions for you:
  • What is the current Windows 10 version you have installed on your computer.
    • Right-click on Start and select Run, then type winver and click OK
    • Please confirm the Version number and the OS Build and whether it is Home, Professional, Enterprise or Student edition.
  • Is your computer running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows
  • Did you install a single language, and was that French or International English etcetera.
  • Finally, when you downloaded that ISO image what did you select in this screen for Language, Edition and Architecture?
mct3.png

I ask, as it is vital the ISO you are working from matches your actual installed OS.​

Reaction score
Hi regedit32,

Here are the specification you asked for :
winver.PNG

Speccy.PNG

Each time I downloaded Windows 10 1703 (3x), I selected French and 64-bit.

I hope this will help you to guide me to a solution :)
Sorry for bad English :oops:

Thanks again !

Have a Nice Day

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the information. I can assure you, that your English is better than my French
beret.jpg

Judging by the error message, it appears to be having an issue with the Source file, perhaps not recognizing it.

The following is a series of steps to take to attempt to get around this. Note though, it will be a lot of finger exercise and no guarantee that the end result will be the issue repaired. At this stage too, note too, that I am not aware what particular file or files has triggered this error either as that is in the LOG file mentioned in your error message, which you have not supplied. Nevertheless, these are the steps to take using your downloaded ISO image.

Assumptions:
  • You downloaded the Windows 10 ISO image
  • Language: French, Edition: Windows 10, Architecture: 64-bit.
  • This matches what currently is installed on your computer, that being Windows 10, Version 1703, OS Build 15063.250, Windows Professional 64-bit

Step 1:

The ISO image you download ought to contain a series of index choices, each with their own installation of a Windows 10 edition to install. For me I had four options, after downloading the Same ISO as you, except I chose for Language: English.

We need to ascertain the Index option you intend to create a Source from for the purposes of your DISM Restore-Health.

To do this you will need to mount the ISO, and then open the Administrator Command Prompt console to execute a command.

1) Open File Explorer and locate the ISO you downloaded.

2) Right-click in the ISO and select Mount

3) In the Address bar at top of File Explorer window note the Driver letter assigned

In sample image below, you can see for me that is F

driveletter.png

In your case the Drive letter may be something else like G, H, X, Z etcetera ...

4) Open the sources folder and scroll down to locate Install.esd

5) Right-click on Install.esd and select copy then in left pane of File Explorer select OS ( C: ) and now click the Home tab and click Paste to place a copy of the file in your root directory.

6)
Now press Windows key + S key together to give focus to your Search/Cortana field.

7) In the Search/Cortana field type comm

8) In search results right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator

9) When the User Account Control prompts you, click Yes

10) Now in the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:"C:\install.esd"

Press Enter key

Sample image of expected result from above command:

dism2.png

11) Note the Index # that matches your current installation. Based on above image the correct Index would be 1, but your French language ISO may place Windows 10 Professional in a different position, so choose the Index # that mentions Windows 10 Pro

12) Now that you know the correct Index # you will convert the ESD file to type WIM.

In your Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
cd\

Press Enter key

Now type or copy & paste the following DISM command:

Code:
dism /export-image /SourceImageFile:install.esd /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:install.wim /Compress:max /CheckIntegrity

Press Enter key

Note: In above command the /SourceIndex: 1 is determined by the Index # you noted a moment ago, so if for example the correct Index # was 2 then the DISM command you look like so:

Code:
dism /export-image /SourceImageFile:install.esd /SourceIndex:2 /DestinationImageFile:install.wim /Compress:max /CheckIntegrity

This will convert the Install.esd to a Install.wim file type and will save it to your Desktop. The process will take around 15 minutes. When done, you can delete the Install.esd copy on your Root which will leave you with one file that you need: Install.wim that now only contains necessary files for Window 10 Professional.

Note: This new Install.wim will only contain a single Index, so any commands you execute now referring to this WIM will always require pointing to Index 1

13) At this point restart your computer.​

Step 2:

14) At this point it would be worth while cleaning and analyzing your WinSxS folder located at C:\Windows\WinSxS given the error message you all ready are receiving. To do that you'll need to open the Administrator: Command Prompt again then type or copy & paste the following commands in the order given:

Code:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

Press Enter key

Code:
SFC /SCANNOW

Press Enter key

Code:
DISM /Online  /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

Press Enter key

Code:
SFC /SCANNOW

Press Enter key

15) Now close the console and restart computer

Step 3:

16) Now its time to check the health, and restore health via DISM using that install.wim you created. To do this open the Administrator: Command Prompt console again. At the prompt type or copy & paste the following DISM command

Code:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Press Enter key

15) Next, type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
cd\

Press Enter key to take you to the C:\> prompt

16) Now type or copy & paste the following DISM command:

Code:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:WIM:C:\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Press Enter key

Upon completion restart the computer.

If this fails and throws a new error code let me know. There are Group Policy Settings you can adjust that may be applicable. However, not just yet as the current Error code you are getting is about the ISO image and the Windows Components (stored in the WinSxS folder).

There are no guarantees as I said earlier, but hopefully this will atleast resolve the error you had earlier with the DISM command you entered. If you're super lucky then just maybe that address bar in the Registry Editor will reappear too.

Note: If after all that typing, you see no improvements with the DISM error or your Registry Editor Address Bar, then you could instead mount your ISO and run the Setup.exe to do an in-place upgrade which will install Windows over the top of itself. If you have files or settings you want to keep, simply select that choice during the in-place upgrade when you see this screen during that process:

choose.png

Well that is all for now. Good luck.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,

I went through all the steps and command lines, and I still get the error 0x800f081f after all that !?? o_O

Capture.PNG

Before doing an in-place upgrade, I'll wait for your advice. :)

Thanks a lot for all of your support. :)

Have a Nice Day ;)

Reaction score
Have you tried, whilst in the Registry, clicking Alt V
Usually shows the option.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Ahh that is a real shame.

I managed to create a situation myself where my own tests would reproduce that error code, and after much testing, the steps I gave you in all but one case resolved the error.

The one exception appears to be a mysterious Task Scheduler.lnk process centered around Microsoft .NET 4.6.2 Framework which is bundled with Microsoft's SDK package, and as a result the ISO image has a #mismatch issue, so using the image cannot resolve the error entirely, as you then end up with a new error code.

It's possible you have something on your system, that simply is not included in the ISO image; hence the recurring issue. What that something is though, can really only be determined by reviewing the CBS, DISM and SFC logs.

Doing an in-place upgrade may resolve things, but then again, it may not too for reason stated above.

Is there any chance you could provide your SFC scan results and DISM results.

When in a Administrator: Command Prompt, at the conclusion of a SFC /SCANNOW, before closing the console, you can enter one lass command to produce a Text file of the results by entering the following:

Code:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\desktop\sfcdetails.txt

Press Enter key and the results will appear on your Desktop saved as sfcdetails.txt

The Dism.txt file can be obtained via File Manager from C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Reaction score
Sorry for butting in. I think I may have misinterpreted the query!!

Reaction score
Hello to both of you !

When I'm in the Registry, I have the different tabs and when I click on “ Affichage ”, the box for showing the address bar is checked.
Thanks for your concern :)

I may have found something ?
Some people with the same problem deleted two keys from the Registry ?!??
These are the keys :

1st Location:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\PackageIndex\Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~0.0.0.0]

2nd Location:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0]

First I have to export them in a safe place, then I can delete them and no more issues with DISM.
What do you think of this solution ?

Here I joined the .txt file you requested.

I'll wait for your answer before doing anything.

Thanks again ! :)

Bye ;)

Attachments

• sfcdetails.txt
    47.2 KB · Views: 567
  • dism.txt
    351.3 KB · Views: 754

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Jay.

Nice detective work there!
detective.jpg

Your DISM log certainly spends a great amount of time loading the package, but that makes sense given its part of KB4018483 which was a security update for Adobe Flash addressing a number of means for people to harm a Users Windows operating system.

It would be fine to export the two keys you mentioned, then delete them.

That though would really only work the way I assume you want it to, if you then opened the Servicing directory and removed the Packages these keys refer to.

To do that you'd need to open File Explorer and navigate your way to C:\Windows\servicing\Packages, then in the Search field enter testroot then press Enter key

Sample image

testroot.png

Note: The files that appear in the search results would need to moved to a different directory to prevent DISM re-detecting them. Do not delete these files!

This is one of those issues where ultimately we'll need to wait for Adobe & Microsoft to work out a permanent fix, and when that happens I imaged we'll see a Update that replaces KB4018483

Regards,

Regedit32

Addendum: If you see 4 results in the search, then you'll have 4 registry keys to deal with. In the example above, the syswow64 files each have their own registry key just below the two locations you provided in your post. You may need to deal with those too.

Also, in order to delete those keys, when in Registry Editor, you'll first need to right-click on them and select Permissions then in window that opens select your User logon and give it Full control

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,

Well, Thank You ! :)

I came here for a solution but I never stopped searching on the web.

Before deleting or doing anything, since the “ Patch Tuesday ” is coming soon, I'll wait for it, and see if there's a patch for that issue and other real minor issues.
If there's no patch, and DISM is not able to complete its work, I will try that method and I will post the result here.

Thanks a lot for your time and support. :D

Have a Nice Day ;)

Reaction score
Hello,

I installed this week “ Patch Tuesday ”, and ... Still the same error (0x800f081f) with DISM. :(

But I learned that this is a known issue, and Microsoft is working on it !
Even if I do a In-place Upgrade, I may still have the same issue. o_O
I don't feel comfortable with deleting the keys from the Registry, so I'll wait for the next “ Patch Tuesday ”.
I'll keep you informed ! :)

Thank You :)

Bye ;)

Reaction score
Hi Jay.

Nice detective work there! View attachment 5592

Your DISM log certainly spends a great amount of time loading the package, but that makes sense given its part of KB4018483 which was a security update for Adobe Flash addressing a number of means for people to harm a Users Windows operating system.

It would be fine to export the two keys you mentioned, then delete them.

That though would really only work the way I assume you want it to, if you then opened the Servicing directory and removed the Packages these keys refer to.

To do that you'd need to open File Explorer and navigate your way to C:\Windows\servicing\Packages, then in the Search field enter testroot then press Enter key

Sample image

View attachment 5593

Note: The files that appear in the search results would need to moved to a different directory to prevent DISM re-detecting them. Do not delete these files!

This is one of those issues where ultimately we'll need to wait for Adobe & Microsoft to work out a permanent fix, and when that happens I imaged we'll see a Update that replaces KB4018483

Regards,

Regedit32

Addendum: If you see 4 results in the search, then you'll have 4 registry keys to deal with. In the example above, the syswow64 files each have their own registry key just below the two locations you provided in your post. You may need to deal with those too.

Also, in order to delete those keys, when in Registry Editor, you'll first need to right-click on them and select Permissions then in window that opens select your User logon and give it Full control

Hello Regedit32,

Finally I gave it a try ! :D

I saved and deleted the two Keys, and copied the two .cat and .mum files like you told me.

I ran DISM the regular way, and I still had the error 0x800f081f ! o_O

After, I did it the way you showed me (WIM in C:), and it worked ! :)

DISM.PNG

And I checked for the address bar in Registry, and now the path for a key is all shown. :)

Thanks a lot for your advices ! :D

P.S.: After I saved and deleted the two “ WOW64 ” keys, I ran the regular DISM /Online, and it worked perfectly, no need to mount the ISO !:)

Best Regards ;) JAY B.

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Great news!

Glad it worked out for you.

By the way, did the Registry Editor Address Bar reappear too?

Reaction score
Great news!

Glad it worked out for you.

By the way, did the Registry Editor Address Bar reappear too?

Hi !

Yes it did ! :D

Registry.PNG

Now the path is clearly shown !

For Dism to work properly, I had to delete four Keys, the two mentionned in the earlier post, and the wow64.

Now, should I put the keys and the files back ?

I must say that the computer is not showing sign of instability, and seems to be working well. :)

Thank You :)

Bye ;)

Regedit32

Reaction score
For now I'd leave it as is.

In time Microsoft will probably release an update to resolve that issue.

Ask a Question