Program in Registry Run folder only runs randomly

Reaction score
I have a program in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run that I want to startup every time I login. I have two other programs that start every time but the third only starts randomly. The only difference is the two that work all the time are 32-bit running from \Program Files (x86)\ but the third is 64-bit from \Program Files\.

Any ideas?

Regedit32

Reaction score
If its a 64-bit program you should be placing its executable path in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Reaction score
I don't like interfering too much with the registry. Among other problems, it is likelt to get changed with MS updates.
What I do is drag a shortcut of the Program to the Windows Startup Folder, located at:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
I have had instances where that did not work, but for my temporary uses, it is good enough.

Reaction score
The program even has an option to "make it start with windows" but that didn't work & I thought it might be some difference in win10. So I tried the startup folder first Dave but it was inconsistent so I went to the registry but still it seems 50-50. I will move it as Regedit suggests and see if that helps.

Reaction score
So HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run isn't limited to 64-bit programs (my SpyBot which is x86 already put itself there). The difference with putting things in this Run folder as opposed to the other is that this folder is for every user of this computer where the other one means it only runs for my login. Since I'm currently the only user it doesn't much matter so I will leave it here to see if it works any better.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Correct, but given you said the problematic program is 64-bit, it does need to be located there.

Reaction score
By the same premise, I guess, with my method, the "universal folder would be
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Ask a Question