Reinstall Windows 10 & Key help

Reaction score
HI,

I ungraded from win 7 pro to win 10 pro and I have a virus (no sys image, no restore point, nada). My win 10 is activated online.

I would like to do a reinstall of win 10 pro but setup is asking for product key. I used Nirsoft to display the product key but it displayed Internet Explorer key. I tried 2 VBS script to retrieve the product key but the keys extracted did not work.

How can I do a fresh win 10 pro install on my computer?

Lol, Win Defender is off and I cannot turn on due to group policy. I tried to edit group policy but no luck to turn Defender on.
With these 2 problems and future problems, I would like to be able to do fresh reinstall.

Any assistance appreciated. Tx in advance

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
My win 10 is activated online.
I would like to be able to do fresh reinstall.
Any assistance appreciated. Tx in advance
Sure no product key is required.
Simply click the link that says "I don't have a product key"
IF your past install was activated, then once you complete the fresh install and connect to the internet, it should activate automatically again.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Sure no product key is required.
Simply click the link that says "I don't have a product key"
IF your past install was activated, then once you complete the fresh install and connect to the internet, it should activate automatically again.
Trouble, thank you for your reply. Where is the link that says "I do not have a product key"?

I upgraded to windows 10 pro and activated online (once, the first time). Then I got virus problem (tried malware byte, super antispyware, Kaspersky (killer and virus scanner), cce, comodo stuff, defender, avast, rskill, etc). I tried to find the product key with nirsoft prodkey, speccy, and some vbscript with no avail.

I got an iso from my friend and when I tried to do setup from my operational windows 10, I am requested to provide a product key. Mind you, when I ran setup, I am ask if I want to do an upgrade ( I skip this step for I am not interested at this point in time and can update windows 10 later). I just want to do any form of reinstall without the virus problem. I guess, I have to do update and in there would I see the link you are referring about " do not have ... key"?

What happens if I do not have internet access? Would love to run system mechanic pro but I need to activate with internet. Using firefox, etc, I am given no access to internet. Prior, I had access with coldsearch crap until I ran the gamut of problem solver software. In window edge, I have access to internet but the malware/virus is there for I am given some unrequested pages. Currently, using the 360 Total security protection software, that is highly rated for free.

In summary, where is the link. Tx in advance for your reply. Sorry, for delay in responding but having problems on my end. Tx again.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I got an iso from my friend and when I tried to do setup from my operational windows 10, I am requested to provide a product key
The installation media that you use must be the same as your current installation
I recommend that you obtain the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()
That matches your installation especially in bit version (32 or 64 bit)
The ISO itself should be for both Home and Pro version(s)
Where is the link that says "I do not have a product key"?
Every time that I've performed an installation of Windows 10 wherein I was prompted for a "product key" in the box, just below the area where you would enter a product key there is a hyperlink that says..... "I don't have....."

At this point, I'm not clear as to whether you are performing an upgrade or a
How can I do a fresh win 10 pro install on my computer?
Which I took to mean a custom clean install.

To perform a custom clean install you boot to the installation media.
To perform an upgrade you run setup.exe contained on the installation media from within your current (running) Operating System.

Reaction score
Thank you for your help. And posting solution for others.

Firstly, the setup version requires key and there is no link.

This is solution for everyone and it is from Microsoft. Download media creation tools from MS. It would take about 4 minutes to download. Upon downloading, run or execute program, Enter the required fields. You are then given a product that can run on any computer ( I selected those fields) and it uses legit key without asking me.

With the reinstall, I notice my C:/songbird folder still exist. Thus, not a clean reinstall for I had expected factory reinstall. In C:/program and C:/ program (86) folder, it looks clean. Thus, I expect future problems since MS does not do a proper clean reinstall especially when I requested to keep nothing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Firstly, the setup version requires key and there is no link.

I don't have a product key.jpg

And the older installs had a link in the same location that simply said "Skip".

Ask a Question