SOLVED Removing items listed in left pane of Windows File Explorer

Reaction score
When I open File Explorer there are a number of items listed in the left pane. Is there a way to remove some of them that I do not use like Videos and Music? Also at the bottom, after Network is Homegroup. I do not use Homegroup. Can I delete it from this list? I have other computers that do not list Homegroup so why does this one list it?

Reaction score
OPen the attached . There you will find the individual items to remove and restore. I would suggest you export your reg first. Messing with the registry can have consequences.

Attachments

• Individual Folders.zip
    5.7 KB · Views: 614
Reaction score
OPen the attached . There you will find the individual items to remove and restore. I would suggest you export your reg first. Messing with the registry can have consequences.
This looks like what I want to do.
How do I use these reg fixes? Can I do a RUN and execute these fixes or do I have to open the register and do the fixes manually. Also, how would I remove the "homegroup" and are there other items I might be interested in that are not on this list?

Reaction score
Just run them as the are. (Left click and agree to the two queries)In some cases, you may need to log off and on, to see a result.'
Homegroup.
I use this, but, way back, it annoyed me. What I did was, int run box, type services.msc.

Scroll down the list to the two homegroup items. HomeGroup Listener & HomeGroup Provider
Double click them, in turn, and change the startup to "disabled"

Reaction score
Just run them as the are. (Left click and agree to the two queries)In some cases, you may need to log off and on, to see a result.'
Homegroup.
I use this, but, way back, it annoyed me. What I did was, int run box, type services.msc.

Scroll down the list to the two homegroup items. HomeGroup Listener & HomeGroup Provider
Double click them, in turn, and change the startup to "disabled"

These reg hacks and etc are very useful. Where did you find them, in a book somewhere or are you a MS guru?

Reaction score
Neither. Over many years, I have built up a "Dbase" on my computer, of useful things which can improve Windows. It was trial and error to make sure they were not destructive in any way.

I am apprehensive about their use in Windows 10. Microsoft have an unrelenting policy of sending down compulsory updates, which are often designed, with the intention of over writing what could be called hacks.

If you google, you will find most of these particular ones scattered through the web.

Ask a Question