Removing unwanted entries from Control Panel

Reaction score
I've discovered multiple entries for the modem in Control Panel's Device & Printers; Multimedia Devices of x32Win10ProV21H2
I was able to reduce their number from 38 to 22, but no further
They each have the following description :
Archer-VR1600v State: Network Connected Category: Digital media server
Manufacturer: Justin Maggard Status: Not connected
Model: Windows Media Conn...

Belatedly, I've discovered that it seems I CAN remove the others, but the default option is to leave them there.

So my question has changed to - Why are so many duplicate entries appearing and how can I prevent it ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The only clue there is the Archer Router. If that is not yours, then -- Did you buy the computer from another user? In that case, all of that persons hardware is still there. It is not necessarily troublesome, as it will most be ignore, but, if my suggestion is correct, your best option is a fresh install.

Reaction score
The Archer Router is mine. I have had it since Telstra discontinued its copper-wire service. It normally shows in THIS PC. I've had and run the PC for years. I've managed to get the duplicate entries deleted and will monitor - daily at first - whether the duplicates repopulate. If they don't, then the problem is history, if they DO, then I may get a clue as to what triggers that.

Reaction score
OK. Obviously computer (and specific hardware) related. I don't even have my router listed as a device.

Maybe(?) some of the items you are removing, were constant hardware updates. As you say, you have run the OC for years, and windows 10 does have a habit of updating firmware through the drivers, , without your intervention.

Reaction score
Looks like you have achieved what ever you intended. Thread solved?

Reaction score
Some UNKNOWN thing caused that aberration of reduplicating entries in Multimedia Devices. There is no reason to believe that it has been fixed just because I was able to reduce the number of entries to 1. The cause has certainly not been discovered. So it is NOT solved - I consider it a work-in-progress, and will report on any developments. If there are none, the issue will simply disappear into the mists of history.

Reaction score
I've discovered that it started happening (soon) after I upgraded my x32Win10Pro to V21H2. Several attempts to upgrade it the normal way from Media Creation USB failed, so I researched it and found an MSU with did succeed with a minimum of fuss in mere moments, well, at least WINVER now shows v21H2

Ask a Question