SOLVED Removing unwanted users via netplwiz and CP/Settings

Reaction score
I'm trying to clean up the Users on my husband's computer since being locked out via the Microsoft Account when even after changing the password online in the correct place still got Password Incorrect message on login. All good now using Local Account.

Using netplwiz, his account showed the following:

Administrator HomeUsers; Administrators
His-name HomeUsers; Administrators
HomeGroupUser$ HomeUsers (even though the network has NO Homegroup now)
UpdatusUser HomeUsers (used for NVIDIA updates so probably OK)

So I deleted the HomeGroupUser$ account.

This is a lot different to mine which just shows one account: My name Administrators. His Administrator account may be the one I enabled to access the computer during the lockout though I did go back afterwards and re-set it to /active:no. Should I leave this there?

What I really want to do is to remove the Microsoft Account. When I went to Settings etc and clicked on Remove Account, it said if I remove this account it will remove email and all content associated with it. There also seems to be an account listed under Email. This email address is not actually an Outlook email address as it is a private email address I set up from his website. He doesn't use the Mail facility on W10. So I imagine that closing the MS Account will in no way impact on this email address used via Thunderbird and the removal relates only to the USE of this address for his MS Account. Just making sure - is that correct?

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
His-name HomeUsers; Administrators
That may be the one associated with
What I really want to do is to remove the Microsoft Account
So you may not want to remove it until you are absolutely certain
His Administrator account may be the one I enabled to access the computer during the lockout though I did go back afterwards and re-set it to /active:no. Should I leave this there?
I would.... at least until you have it all sorted, just the way you want it. You can always /active:no it whenever you want when you have things squared away.

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble

"His-name" is the one that is currently used for logon with a password so am pretty sure that one is his Local Account and is OK. His username for the Microsoft Account is his email address.

So can you confirm that removing the MS Account will in no way impact on this email address that is used via Thunderbird for his actual emails and that the removal relates only to the USE of this address for his MS Account?

Thanks

Ask a Question