Rescue Disk

Reaction score
I have just upgraded a machine from windows 8.1 to windows 10 and I can't make a rescue disk that will boot.

The creation of the disk goes perfectly, right to the end. And when I reboot the machine it says the disk is not bootable.

I tried other boot disks I have here and they all work. What am I missing on this Windows 10 system?

Reaction score
I don't have a direct answer to your issue.
If I may offer an alternative.....
If there is no problem purchasing an external harddrive, please do so.
Run system image backup regularly and store the backup image in the ext. hdd.
That is what I do and system image backup saved me many times when I had issues I could not fix.
A 1 TB capacity ext. hdd can be had under $100 Canadian. It should be even cheaper in US if that's where you reside. A 500GB variety will be even cheaper.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't have a direct answer to your issue.
If I may offer an alternative.....
If there is no problem purchasing an external harddrive, please do so.
Run system image backup regularly and store the backup image in the ext. hdd.
That is what I do and system image backup saved me many times when I had issues I could not fix.
A 1 TB capacity ext. hdd can be had under $100 Canadian. It should be even cheaper in US if that's where you reside. A 500GB variety will be even cheaper.
Thanks for the tip on going with an external hard drive for backups.
But how do you get TO that drive to do a restore if you have no rescue disk??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can't make a rescue disk that will boot.
My personal preference when it comes to recovery media is to always have the original installation media in hand, from which you can accomplish anything that you can perform from the so called recovery disk, which I assume is what you mean when you say "rescue disk"
The installation media can be obtain through either of these two resources.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.

Reaction score
But how do you get TO that drive to do a restore if you have no rescue disk??

You don't need a "rescue disk" to run a system image restore.
If you create System Image Backup in regular basis ( I do it once a month or after large quantity of updates installed ), you can use it in 3 different ways................

1. If you are logged in already :
Connect your external hard drive.
Start button > Settings > Update & Security > left side, Recovery > right side, advanced Options > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Image Recovery.......follow the prompts from then on.

2. If you have not logged in :
At the log in window, bottom right, click the Power icon > press Shift key and HOLD > click Restart >Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Image Recovery...........

3. Use your Installation disk > select Repair option instead of Install Now > that will lead you to system image recovery.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You don't need a "rescue disk" to run a system image restore.
If you create System Image Backup in regular basis ( I do it once a month or after large quantity of updates installed ), you can use it in 3 different ways................

1. If you are logged in already :
Start button > Settings > Update & Security > left side, Recovery > right side, advanced Options > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Image Recovery.......follow the prompts from then on.

2. If you have not logged in :
At the log in window, bottom right, click the Power icon > press Shift key and HOLD > click Restart >Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Image Recovery...........

3. Use your Installation disk > select Repair option instead of Install Now > that will lead you to system image recovery.

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I printed this out and will try it to the future..
Thanks..

Reaction score
But I still would llike to know why windows 10 can't create a bootable rescue disk.
It goes through all the motions of making one. But it simply doesn't boot when its all done.

What is wrong here. That is my question..

Ask a Question