Avira Security Rescue System Live CD Anti Virus App

Reaction score
HI all,

in light of recent Ransomware attacks; I thought that I would make some of you aware that there is an alternative method to scan your PC for any viral infections apart from the pre-installed AV apps.

Avira Security Live CD Anti Virus App is free and is a bootable Ubuntu based (Linux/Debian) anti-virus tool, all you need to do is go to their website and download either the .exe file, or if you prefer; the ISO file. The .exe file just needs to be double clicked with a burnable CD in the burner drive and it will burn the app to the CD automatically. If you download the ISO file, you will need to manually burn the CD yourself!.

Go the following link to download your preferred file and you can also download the manual and How-To which are both PDF files:

https://www.avira.com/en/download?product=avira-rescue-system

When you first start the disk, press F2 for language (default is English but there is also German), press F3 for keyboard layout to select a KB other than US English. If the CD won't boot, press F6 for other boot options such as noapci or nomodeset.

Click on the Wizard and follow the instructions, that is all you need to do!. :)

Stay safe people. :)

See also:

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/new-cyber-attack-hitting-today.14102/#post-67892

The app is from 2016 but it will still update itself, you should use a LAN connection if you don't know how to set-up a WiFi connection on Ubuntu based systems!.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Wolfie I just burned the CD.
I have used Avira for a couple of years now and love it, also have it installed on the Grandkids PC's.
Nothing has ever got passed it or malwarebytes premium 3.0. They actually run well together.
I actually like the Avira pop up warning when other malware programs I use access the registry.

Reaction score
HI Norton,

i should have added that i used it in the past and had to manually remove (rename and then delete) a file once, you just have to note where the file is located and give it a new name, "xxxxxx" will do and then delete it!. :)

Reaction score
An update:

I recently had a viral infection (I had windows Defender as my default AV app) and used the Live CD, it said it found 11 Trojans and renamed them which normally makes them ineffective, I rebooted my PC but the infection(s) were still there. :(

I tried system restore from 3 different restore points but none worked!. :rolleyes: I ended up doing a fresh install which overwrote the system files, I chose not to format C:/ which left my files intact in the folder "Windows.old" and all I needed to do was copy the files over and delete the .old folder using CCleaner. :)

I have since installed Avast Free (directly after fresh install) and ran a scan which found nothing on the new install! :)

I don't know how good the current normal version of Avira is but will the Aviria Live CD work for you?????????????. :eek:

Reaction score
Reaction score
Yes Girzzly & Dave, it should read "No longer available" but I am prone to the odd typo now and again LOL!. :):):):):)

It is a shame as it really is a good tool, I still have an old version and although the actual OS is not available, the updates still are so as long as I am connected to the net, it will update the virus definition files!. :):):)

Also, I only just read that it is no longer available when I went to search for an updated copy which I haven't done in a couple of years!. :(

Ask a Question