Security pop-up warning

Reaction score
I get this warning when going to sites that are 100% safe. I'm using NS Defender as only virus software installed. I don't have and never had McAfee installed. Also have Arris SBG-75800-AC modem/router which I have contacted inquiring if McAfee is installed on modem/router which they say NO!, Also checked with comcast and stated the same. But comcast thinks it has something to do with MS Defender. Anyone else see this issue?

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2390sm.jpg
    IMG_2390sm.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 396
Reaction score
You might check the programs and features on the control panel and see if any McAfee software is installed.

I know Dell loads it on all their systems and can be hard to remove. If you have done a reset or reinstall, it may have been reinstalled then also.

The Task Manager is another place to see if it is actually running on your system.

Reaction score
I'd give your PC a scan with ADWCleaner and see if you have any PUP's (potentially unwanted programs) on your system. They are notorious for browser pop ups and stuff like that. That's certainly what it looks like. Defender does a very poor job stopping them. You could use Malwarebytes to scan with too, but you have to enable PUP detection in the settings. It's off by default.

Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't click on it and activate it, if the tab won't close, it is most likely a scam. :):):)

Reaction score
UPDATE: ADW scan shows nothing than a listing for "...searchdial…" which I had it repair. There is no trace of anything mcafee in control panel or system search. Something odd is the same popup came up when using my iPad?

Is it possible for a hacker to load that software on the cable modem/router combo? But we haven't had that happen for over a week?

Reaction score
Hi PA-WOODCHUCK,

you can also password protect your router if you feel you need to, just open the settings for your model and create a password, it is very easy!. Check the manual for your router. :):):)

Reaction score
Hi PA-WOODCHUCK,

you can also password protect your router if you feel you need to, just open the settings for your model and create a password, it is very easy!. Check the manual for your router. :):):)
That doesn't do anything against a dns reroute. That's a vulnerability in the routers firmware. If that ends up being what's happening, he'll need to update the routers firmware. I had to do that years ago when that exploit/vulnerability first became news.

Ask a Question