New Cyber Attack hitting today!

Regedit32

Reaction score
A new cyber attack is hitting as I write this.

So far it appears to be targeting computers in Europe - in particular the Ukraine.

Initial reports suggest it may be a variation of the Ransomware that recently hit the world, but we'll have to wait and see if that is the actual case.

In the meanwhile, I'd recommend you make sure your computer is fully updated with security patches and Antivirus definitions as this currently active attack may spread global very quickly.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Wow - I had not seen that in the report I've just been reading.

It goes to show how devastating these cyber attacks can be though!

Be extra cautious approaching intersections today then. Traffic lights may be affected!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think I need to build a lead lined bunker in my garden the way things are going :D.

I would love to know who is really behind these attacks and how much they've made from it so far.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I think I need to build a lead lined bunker in my garden

If you do that you may need to change your title after a few months to:

Ian
Mad as a hatter

Rumour has it that lead is not too good for the brain :p

Reaction score
Thanks for the warning @Regedit32 , :)

and there was me doing some online banking this morning thinking that no one is really after my money!. :D

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Wondering if this new version will impact Windows 10 machines which apparently weren't vulnerable to the previous version, or....
IF it's still the same old code, still attacking older unpatched systems.
IF that's the case then shame on them, as I believe Microsoft even offered a patch for XP systems during the previous outbreak.

Reaction score
It has already closed down the biggest transport company in scandinavia! (Mæsk)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Wow.... sounds like we'll all be back to paper and pencils by the end of the day.
Anyone know the current price for a postage stamp? :)

Bif

Reaction score
Back to my Palm Pilot!..
This one appears to be scarier than the last, I may not boot until things cool down.
@Trouble... what's a postage stamp??;)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
@Bif
What the hell is a palm pilot :)

Just kidding. Back in the day I had one of the HP handheld PDAs I believe they called them. Which worked with Active Sync on a Windows machine.
As I recall the damn thing cost almost as much as a current mid priced laptop does today.
I think it was called an iPAQ Pocket PC

Reaction score
Back up, back up. back up. Make sure your firewall is enabled, don't assume it is, and sleep tight.

Reaction score
I updated and ran all my antivirus and malware programs.
Cleaned out all of the HD trash, unplugged my DSL cable because I don't want any pop ups or rude interruptions from MS when creating images.
I created a full system image + two redundant images all on external USB drives.
Am I paranoid or what?
We don't know what the outcome of this new virus will be, the www could be like the movie "Mad Max" tomorrow ?:eek:

Bif

Reaction score
Better to be safe!..
Will be doing much the same in the morning..

Reaction score
Wow.... sounds like we'll all be back to paper and pencils by the end of the day.
Anyone know the current price for a postage stamp? :)
Wouldn't help me. In this country, allegedly the greatest welfare country in the world, they have just reduced the postage facility to twice a week.

Reaction score
I've just seen the headlines on BBC news.
HI Ian,

why is Bitcoin allowed to get away with supporting "Cyber-Terrorists"?, if I were a local politician, I would ensure that any money paid into a BC account was refunded to the person being hit by ransomware, this would encourage them to stop helping criminals!.

They need to change things quickly!, a quote of a small section of their page:

"Bitcoin is also designed to prevent a large range of financial crimes."

https://bitcoin.org/en/faq#is-bitcoin-anonymous :(

Reaction score
I just got a message from McAfee. They seem to indicated it is being spread with a phishing/spam type situation. Be careful on what you click.

A mention was made if you get a message to reboot, it can encrypt your "master boot file" and keep you from being able to boot.

Reaction score
Wolfie You make a good point. I guess the problem is bitcoin is electronic currency and would be hard to trace, like cash or wire transfers.

Ask a Question