SOLVED Can't view pictures, possible crypto attack?

Reaction score
I tried to open a picture i had on my hard drive and windows said i lacked permissions. I tried again and it opened the second time. The picture was for a 40 year old advertisment about a radio/toilet paper dispenser combo. It has happened with all sorts of pictures now.

I also found a new program called "facebook" which doesn't say what it does, doesn't appear to be associated with facebook, is in a folder that can't be opened or viewed and is not deletable.

I stopped "facebook" from running, but did i find a crypto attack in progress here? Should i be concerned about all this stuff?

Reaction score
Windows 10 home and it was last updated this morning. I can't really upgrade right now.

I restarted the computer and it seems to be working okay, "facebook" hasn't come back yet but i will keep an eye out.

Reaction score
HI Bill,

look in Settings > System > About for the version number, the latest should be 1703 on a normal install!, if and when you get the time and you don't have the latest version, do an upgrade!.

windows build info.JPG

https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...ws-10-to-the-latest-version.13015/#post-64095 :)

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you suspect your machine is infected, or was infected, I'd strongly recommend running a full system scan using Windows Defender, or whatever antivirus program you have installed on your computer.

You could also run the Malicious Software Removal Tool Microsoft sends us each month:
  • Right-click on Start and select Run
  • Type MRT then click OK
This scan though is slow, but if there is anything to do with Crypto malware/virus, it ought to pick it up.​

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, the version # is 1703 and it was updated automatically this morning. Windows defender and macafee didn't find anything. The computer seems to be running okay now and the pictures are all viewable again without anything being denied because of permissions.

Ask a Question