SOLVED Can't view/change account info

Reaction score
I have a new HP laptop which has a new Windows 10 image on it. I was able to set up my Microsoft account on it, so I can log-in with it, but if I go to SETTINGS | ACCOUNTS | YOUR EMAIL AND ACCOUNTS, nothing ever shows - the animated graphic at the top (flying dots) continues forever and nothing is ever displayed.

My login id has admin rights, so I don't think it's not a permissions issue.

Any ideas why I can't see/change the account information??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Double check manually for Windows Updates and see if
A. There is any reboots pending, or
B. There is any new updates pending.
Catch up on anything pending and then.......
Regardless, try rebooting your machine once or twice, including a full shut down (not sleep, hibernate or hybrid sleep), wait a minute or two and restart.
Sometimes a user profile can seemingly fail to load completely or properly and sometimes shutting down the computer and restarting will remedy this. Sometimes..... not.

Reaction score
<<Sometimes a user profile can seemingly fail to load completely or properly and sometimes shutting down the computer and restarting will remedy this. Sometimes..... not.>>

Thanks - guess this is a "sometimes not" situation. Windows is up to date and I've rebooted and shut down multiple times. Still nothing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Heck and fooey.
Is it only the "account" component within settings that is giving you a problem or is the problem broader? Try
Right clicking the Start Button and choosing Run and in the run dialog box type
ms-settings:signinoptions
hit enter
does that come up or produce the same spinning circle of dots forever.

Honestly I haven't seen this problem since back in an earlier preview / insider program release.
You might try the native System File Checker
Right Click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type
sfc /scannow
hit enter
let in run and see if that produces any information.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions -- Signin Options is fine - no problem there. I ran sfc, - it came up with several issues regarding the following file: opencl.dll.

Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-r..xwddmdriver-wow64-c_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_3dae054b56911c22\opencl.dll do not match actual file [l:10]"opencl.dll" :

I believe this has something to do with the NVIDIA driver - nothing that would cause this issue.

Reaction score
Well, somehow the profile was corrupted. I called Microsoft and the support person was very good - they basically determined that the profile was corrupted, created a new user, moved data from the old profile to the new one and deleted the old profile. This solved the problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
We've been seeing a fair amount of that recently. It seems the recent round of updates caused issues on a lot of systems and while they seem to exhibit different symptoms, it looks like for the most part they all link back to a corrupt user profile. The profile of the user who was logged on at the time and performed the updates, while other users if there were any or new users created after the fact seem fine.
I'm glad you managed to get it resolved, and .....
Thanks for posting back with that information.
Much appreciated.

Reaction score
Well, somehow the profile was corrupted. I called Microsoft and the support person was very good - they basically determined that the profile was corrupted, created a new user, moved data from the old profile to the new one and deleted the old profile. This solved the problem.
How did you do it ?
sorry for my english level is not good

Ask a Question