Reset options for win10

Reaction score
Getting ready to sell PC and looking for reset options:

I could do factory reset which would then go to win8 or vista(OEM) and then update with ISO win10 which is time consuming.

Anyway to remove all passwords and logon info?
What's the link for current win10 ISO and will it upgrade from past versions of win?

thanks

Reaction score
What I like to do using the MCT/Media Creation Tool is download the .iso file used to create an exact copy of the original DVD and boot it to do a clean install or get the Bootable USB Thumb drive to do it. Use an 8GB USB drive or maybe the DVD+R/DL disc if the drive supports it, the downloads have been growing. Either way a running Win10 is activated and can be reactivated after the clean install. Can also run either device from within File Explorer as if doing an Upgrade and should have a choice to do a clean install. I download the third choice of type to get both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Reaction score
Definitely. Just be sure to check the "use on a different computer" choice.

Reaction score
decided to run on PC that needed reset. I ran the CMT tool and had 2 options, 1-upgrade or 2-upgrade another PC so I picked #1 and didn't ask to create ISO. That said it's running #1 now and about 80% complete.

Reaction score
I suspect that will just upgrade the pc to 20H2 which is the Oct update.
To fully clear the pc you can download the media creation tool & chose to create media for another pc.
Once completed turn off the pc & with the USB/DVD inserted reboot the device & rapidly click the key which corresponds to the boot key - this can be F2, F7, F12 or Esc - once booted you choose to clean install Windows 10 & delete all partitions.

Reaction score
Yes the ISO shows as H20.
That said, since I'm selling it is there anyway around the install asking for username/password. Naturally don't want to use mine and don't know new owner yet?

Reaction score
When asked to enter a username & password/ms account just turn the pc off, when the new user turns it on it should start from there so they can add their details.

Reaction score
What if I setup phony account and email and then delete later? Also google research... some just have network off and then will setup with local account.

Reaction score
That would work I suppose however the buyer may not want this & wish to use their own account so they’d have to reinstall Windows to be able to do this.
I’d go with the suggestion I made. If you want to test it to ensure yourself that this will work you can try it.

Reaction score
When asked to enter a username & password/ms account just turn the pc off, when the new user turns it on it should start from there so they can add their details.
During install do not connect to internet. This will allow a local acct and requires no password. then once install is done you can connect and it won't require a microsoft acct.

Reaction score
During install do not connect to internet. This will allow a local acct and requires no password. then once install is done you can connect and it won't require a microsoft acct.

Thanks.
It would depend on whether the new user wishes to use a local account or a Microsoft account. My suggestion would remove the option of creating any account so the new user would have that option.

Reaction score
Thanks.
It would depend on whether the new user wishes to use a local account or a Microsoft account. My suggestion would remove the option of creating any account so the new user would have that option.
The new user can convert the local to a microsoft acct when they get it, but I know how to do this and I assume you know, but a majority of people will look at you like a deer stuck in the headlights. When I sell a computer I show my clients how to do this. on the other hand a few of my clients are going to wipe the drive and install a form of Linux so they can monitor their Apache servers and then I'm lost.

Reaction score
I did have the connection cable unplugged but then had to create a local account such as name/PW of user/user. On next startup I'm then asked to login or create MS account. So all good now other than finding a buyer.
Thanks everyone

Reaction score
If you gonna sell the puter, use only a local account, don't leave any MS account auto login trace on your PC.

I'm not going to create the MS account. Once I get $$$ then the new owner can to see if all works to their liking before leaving my home

Reaction score
I'm not going to create the MS account. Once I get $$$ then the new owner can to see if all works to their liking before leaving my home
unless they are stupid, they will want to test it before you get the money. I've had a few who didn't have time, I handed them the case and they gave me the cash. I kept thinking how lucky they are that I am honest. And I've had to people who want to test it for 30 min to make sure it reboots and still no watermarks even after I show them the activation .

Ask a Question