Restore to Factory Specs

Reaction score
My wife bought a desktop with WIN 8.1. I upgraded it to the free WIN 10 OS. She wants me to save her files and restore to factory specs. I'm concerned that I will lose the WIN 10 OS if I do so. Is there a way to restore without losing it?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Arnoldp,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you restore to Factory Specs using the Recovery Partition this returns the computer to a state it was in when you first purchased the computer; hence the need to save personal files and programs you have added since purchase.

I'm not sure the reason your wife wants to do this, but if its simply because Windows 10 is not functioning too well at the moment, another option would be to do an in-place upgrade of Windows 10, which effectively installs the current version of Windows 10 on your computer over the top. This option will reinstall the universal apps that comes with Windows 10 such as Photos, Mail, Store, etcetera, and during the process you can choose to keep personal files and settings.

If that sounds acceptable to you and your wife let me know and I'll post some information on how to go about doing this.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Arnoldp,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you restore to Factory Specs using the Recovery Partition this returns the computer to a state it was in when you first purchased the computer; hence the need to save personal files and programs you have added since purchase.

I'm not sure the reason your wife wants to do this, but if its simply because Windows 10 is not functioning too well at the moment, another option would be to do an in-place upgrade of Windows 10, which effectively installs the current version of Windows 10 on your computer over the top. This option will reinstall the universal apps that comes with Windows 10 such as Photos, Mail, Store, etcetera, and during the process you can choose to keep personal files and settings.

If that sounds acceptable to you and your wife let me know and I'll post some information on how to go about doing this.

Regards,

Regedit32
I just did the in place upgrade of WIN 10 and will see if it helps. She says there are too many times when the system freezes and she has to reboot. That is why she wanted to restore to factory specs and see if that helps.

Regedit32

Reaction score
After you have done the in-place upgrade, check the Device Manager and each devices drivers.

You may be able to update some of them, or in some cases roll back to what came with the original system when Microsoft has substituted them with its own generic drivers.

Ask a Question