Retain text size Word 2013

Reaction score
I type some text at size 11, select it and increase size to say 14. I leave the document ,

copy some text from elsewhere then return to the original document which shows text at size 11.I then have to increase the size again. Is there any way to keep the text at the original size. Word 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi editman,

is the text you are copying a different text size?, it might be that due to the import; the document takes on that text size?. :)

Reaction score
Typed text at size 11, increased size to 14, 14 shows in size box. Copied and pasted text from another doc. at size 11 in it. Copied this text from another doc. showing size 11 and it imports at size 11.( this line has been enlarged auto when I posted-was in size 11
Copied and pasted this text at size 14 in another doc. and it imported at size14

Reaction score
Word processor programs are very adept at supporting imported copied data in its original form. Some times the right-click Paste will show choices of which a couple will be saving as formatted or not as formatted.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I leave the document ,
I assume that means that you Save and Close the document.
then return to the original document which shows text at size 11
So the document that you saved and closed earlier is not maintaining your edit / changes to the text size?

Without all the additional info regarding further pasting of additional text, it seems to me that Word is not saving your first basic changes when the document is Saved, Closed and then ReOpened.

That to me suggests that there may be an addon that is creating the problem.
Try opening Word in Safe Mode
Use the Windows Logo Key + the X key combination and choose run from the context menu
In the Run dialog box type
winword /safe (leave a space after winword)
Click OK or hit enter

That should prevent any third party plugins from loading. See if the behavior remains the same.

When pasting text into any word document you normally are present with three default paste options
Keep source formatting
Merge formatting
Keep text only

You might try experimenting between those three options to see which if any, provide the desired results.

Failing all of the above, my best guess is that your "Normal Document Template" (normal.dotm) is corrupt and you'll need to fix that.

Ask a Question