SOLVED Return to Factory Condition W7

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 3 laptops, and wish to return one of them to W7 factory condition.
It came brand new with W7, and I have obviously set up W10 years ago.

It is a Toshiba Satellite. I have googled and found several ways to do it, but none seem to work.

I think maybe the problem is that I want to "go back" from W10 to W7.

Some tell me to switch on power and press 0 (zero), etc. Doesn't work.

Some tell me to power on and hit F8.....doesn't work.

Some tell me to power on and hit repeatedly F12.....doesn't work.

Any ideas anyone please???? Thanks in advance from Australia......

Reaction score
You could try F2, F10, Del, or Esc on boot. It probably depends on the exact model as to what key takes you in to recovery.

Reaction score
You could try F2, F10, Del, or Esc on boot. It probably depends on the exact model as to what key takes you in to recovery.
Assuming when installing Windows 10, that option wasn't removed from the MBR and/or boot menu. I've had luck in the past by setting the recovery partition as active. But that is also assuming a recovery partition was and still is on the system.

Beware though! If the active partition is changed and fails to boot. A third party Boot Disk may be needed to switch Windows 10 back to the active partition.

Reaction score
Depending on the model you might be able to get the recovery CD's from Toshiba if the laptop originally came with Windows 7.
I did so with my Toshiba Satellite. I purchased my discs directly from the Toshiba support center years ago (my Toshiba was running Vista). I still have them though. However, Toshiba is no longer, it has changed to Dynabook.

Reaction score
Assuming when installing Windows 10, that option wasn't removed from the MBR and/or boot menu. I've had luck in the past by setting the recovery partition as active. But that is also assuming a recovery partition was and still is on the system.

Beware though! If the active partition is changed and fails to boot. A third party Boot Disk may be needed to switch Windows 10 back to the active partition.
Yes, I should have clarified that. Thanks.

Reaction score
Thank you all.....I will try those above by "big feet". That was also interesting about buying the CD's.
The laptop came with W7 installed.
The PC is a Toshiba Satellite, P750, Model PSAY3A-02J001, if that helps???

Thanks again in advance. Now to try the suggestions.
Will keep in touch.

Reaction score
Tried F2, F10, DEL, ESC, F12 - none worked.

I downloaded the user manual for my PC, and it said to use F8, which I had already tried without success.
So, I tried it again, still didn't work.

It appears that when you upgrade to W10, when it came out for free, something happens to the "system recovery option" which came with the PC. This is ONLY MY opinion.

Reaction score
It appears that when you upgrade to W10, when it came out for free, something happens to the "system recovery option" which came with the PC. This is ONLY MY opinion.
While installing it is likely the MBR and boot menu was refreshed to insure proper operation. At that point any other boot menu options would be erased. Look in partition manager and see if you still have an additional partition large enough to be a recovery partition. I'd say the partition needs to be at least 15GB in size.

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I actually have 2 identical Toshiba Satellites P750....PSAY3A........

I have checked the Partition Manager on both and each say the partition is 11.33GB. Would that be it on each????

I still can't open it. The instructions tell me to start PC and press F8, which I have done a million times, and each time the PC just goes through it's opening routine as usual. Does not go to Boot menu.

It's not important I do this, but I should be able to, and I want to know how..... Thanks all.

Reaction score
I have checked the Partition Manager on both and each say the partition is 11.33GB. Would that be it on each????
That is large enough for a recovery partition.

Try this first.

If the first page doesn't help. Try this software.

Use EasyBCD to add the recovery partition to the boot loader for dual booting menu. This way you can try booting the recovery partition without locking yourself out of Windows 10. It may take a few configurations before you get the recovery to successfully load.

Reaction score
Thank you Cliff......I will go and try those in a minute or so. Will let you know.
Thanks again..........:D

Reaction score
Tried all those, no success. I think I'll give it away now.
Apparently you can't go back to W7 after 30 days of W10......well and truly gone now..

Reaction score
You'll need to find someone with a Windows 7 disk or iso image first. Then just put in the key that's on the sticker during install.

Reaction score
Well, here I am on the Toshiba Laptop using W7. After weeks frigging around, I finally did it.

I turned off PC.
I hit the start button at same time as the 0 (zero) button. After a few seconds, I let the start button go, and I saw where I could hit F12.
I did that and got a page where I could return to factory condition, which I did. It only took about 45 minutes, and voila, back to W7.
I am now trying to remember how to use it. It is actually exciting. I like it much better than W10.

Thanks BigFeet and all who gave advice.
I will leave a few days then cancel the thread.
Cheers from Australia,
Tony1942

Ask a Question