Safe Mode Is Missing

Reaction score
When I hold the shift key and restart I would expect to see a route to Safe Mode but I do not. Used to be you would get here;

kkkk.PNG

Startup Settings is now missing. Now I must Run msconfig and select Boot to enter Safe Mode

Reaction score
The options you are seeing appear to be computer specific. Do you have a Windows 10 install on a different computer?

How did you get to that window?

Are .you using a public build or Insider?

Reaction score
I saw that on a tutorial to reach Safe Mode. It is not my pc. I noticed a post here which said to press the shift key and restart to reach Safe Mode but it did not produce a path (Startup Settings is missing on my pc) unless I am missing something.

Reaction score
I finally found that exact screen as I uploaded but it was embedded. I had to pick one of the Advanced options first displayed. Like System Image Recovery and from there I proceeded and saw a Troubleshoot screen which when selected produced the screen. Not a very quick way to reach the Safe Mode selection. Msconfig is by far the fastest way.

I double dog dare you to hold the shift key and restart. Then select Troubleshoot then Advanced Options. Start Settings just is not there. I think the latest build must have removed the Start Settings option from that screen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It does indeed. Holding shift and restarting, brings me to this screen:

PC300001.png

But,
The instruction you mentioned (post#3), may have been referring to the login screen?

There, if you hold the shift key down and restart, you will get a similar window as in your first post, which includes, among several others, the option to start in safe mode. (it is in the item "startup settings")
That's fine, but will only work if your boot manager is OK. The only way I have found, if you cannot even boot to the login screen, is through the installation disk.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hey davehc....
That screen looks like you've applied the safe mode hack....
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
I haven't tested that on 10586.36 nor on the latest insider preview 11082
Nice to see it appears to still work. I'll be testing it a little later myself on both builds.

I don't know what is going on with Dan99's machine where he says that.....
Startup Settings is now missing. Now I must Run msconfig and select Boot to enter Safe Mode
When I test, on both builds, holding the shift key and clicking restart from within the OS or from the Sing-In screen I still get the following two screens.

Screen1.jpg

And when I click "Startup Settings", I get this

Screen2.jpg

Reaction score
I am using Windows 10 Home. Can you try shift restart with a Home version? Perhaps Windows 10 Pro is different than Home in this regard. Continue, Troubleshoot and Turn Off PC are the options I see after shift key/restart from within the OS.. I am using the latest version 10586.36

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey davehc....
That screen looks like you've applied the safe mode hack....
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
I haven't tested that on 10586.36 nor on the latest insider preview 11082
Nice to see it appears to still work. I'll be testing it a little later myself on both builds.

No hacks! If there is no straightforward way, I find another way. That was through shift restart. I held the shift key down right through the restart. Could be that I have a dual boot? (Windows 8.1)

"When I test, on both builds, holding the shift key and clicking restart from within the OS or from the Sing-In screen I still get the following two screens."
Right on. That is what I get, but only if applied at the login screen.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you try shift restart with a Home version?
Unfortunately, none of my machines have the Home version installed, so I'm unable to test.
I wouldn't think that the basic functionality would be all that different, although who knows.

Reaction score
I have home and when hold shift thru restart I get same screen as Trouble.

Reaction score
No hacks! If there is no straightforward way, I find another way. That was through shift restart. I held the shift key down right through the restart.
Hey Dave, is there any chance your system has a special boot key which might account for what you see?

All of this stuff more than likely depends on the system, OEM or not, and configuration set up during the install/upgrade. As far as I know, the preview builds have not made any changes to these processes.

Reaction score
Here is what I get when pressing shift through restart. I cut the right side off in the photo but it of course it says Turn Off your PC. Notice it says "Choose an option" not "Advanced options" I get the same options when I do it from the logon screen but the options are arranged vertically.

PC310024.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
@Dan99 you might want to open an administrative command prompt and type the command below. Copy and paste the results in your next response.

reagentc /info

Reaction score
It looks OK, as long as your recovery partition is the second one. You should be getting the entire set of options

Do you get the same thing if you go into the Recovery options in the Settings panel?

I have always heard using the Shift+Restart is a shortcut to using the Settings option.

Edit: It seems I have the same thing you do with either the Shift+Restart or the Restart from the Settings/Recovery page. I do show an extra entry of "Use a Device" which you do not show.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey davehc....
I don't know what is going on with Dan99's machine where he says that.....

When I test, on both builds, holding the shift key and clicking restart from within the OS or from the Sing-In screen I still get the following two screens.
And when I click "Startup Settings", I get this]

Ok. Just to wrap up my experience. Tried it on a machine with only Windows 10 installed. Removed my Windows 8.1 installation on the on the other.
On both, now, I get the same screen as Trouble, either from the desktop or the login screen.

Ask a Question