"Safe to Remove" for Cell Phone connected to PC ?

JWR

Reaction score
We are taught over many Windows versions that every SD card or thumb drive or storage device should be queried using the "removal approval" feature usually in the tray at the lower right edge of the screen. Click on it and most of the time it immediately says OK to Remove _____ whatever the device was. Sometimes slow if the device has huge storage and you have been moving humongous files or something. HOWEVER this mechanism does not seem to exist for my Android cell phone. Always go through this when uploading cellphone pictures to the PC . No way to get approval to pull the plug that I can find. For about a week the PC keeps coming back with an on-screen message saying "this device has stopped or no longer working" or similar verbs. Often it takes 4 or 5 times of X-ing out that message in order to clear it and go on with your work. Then it comes back again the next day. It appears to give up after several days. No adverse effects that I see.

How is this supposed to work ???

Reaction score
It's supposed to work just like any other USB device. But it doesn't.

After I transfer images from my Pixel 7 Pro to my desktop and verify the transfer, I just yank the USB cord out of the phone. Never had any problems, but I usually do have to close the messages that appear on the desktop regarding the "no longer working" phone.

JWR

Reaction score
It's supposed to work just like any other USB device. But it doesn't.

After I transfer images from my Pixel 7 Pro to my desktop and verify the transfer, I just yank the USB cord out of the phone. Never had any problems, but I usually do have to close the messages that appear on the desktop regarding the "no longer working" phone.
Me too. I am trying to find out if this is a bug or oversight in Win 10 or what people should be doing...

Reaction score
Actually the only time I bother with the "Safely remove hardware..." thingy in the System Tray is if I happen to have my 8-tb drive connected. I connect it for backups only. If it's not connected and I have a USB stick inserted, I just pull the USB stick out when I'm done.

Back in the prehistoric days, the days of yore, I would wait for 5-6 seconds after I finished writing to something on a USB stick before I disconnected it. Never lost a single byte, never had a problem. ;)

Ask a Question