safely removing device

Reaction score
In Windows 8.1, I had a little icon on the taskbar that allowed me to safely remove the external hard drive from the USB port. Now in Windows 10, there isn't this little icon. Is it safe for me to just pull out the hard drive plug from the USB drive if the hard drive is off?
I don't want to ruin the port. Why has this icon disappeared from Windows 10? Is there another way to eject from a USB port?
Thank you

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Clorey74,

It's not a good idea to unplug devices from your USB port you have not stopped first.

If you wish to activate the Safely Remove Hardware manually you can do the following:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Run
  • In the Run dialog type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
    RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

Click OK to execute

You could also create a permanent shortcut which you can pin to the taskbar like so:
  • Right-click on Desktop
  • Select New > Shortcut
  • In the field that opens type or copy & paste the following:

Code:

Click Next button

In the next field for name enter Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media then click OK

Note: You can name it whatever you want to, but that is its official name.

Right-click on your new shortcut and select Pin to taskbar

Regards,

Regedit32

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I suppose someone should also mention that the icon has changed and doesn't look much like the old icon, so ....
Are you absolutely certain that you don't have

Capture.JPG

Reaction score
In Windows 8.1, I had a little icon on the taskbar that allowed me to safely remove the external hard drive from the USB port. Now in Windows 10, there isn't this little icon. Is it safe for me to just pull out the hard drive plug from the USB drive if the hard drive is off?
I don't want to ruin the port. Why has this icon disappeared from Windows 10? Is there another way to eject from a USB port?
Thank you

have you checked ?

Settings, System, Notifications & Actions, click on - Select which icons appear on the taskbar,

switch from Off to On for the 'Windows Explorer' (Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media)

Reaction score
I have that icon and I find that if I open file explorer and select a USB device I have eject in the properties EXCEPT for my USB 3 external disc...interesting. BUT clicking on the little icon DOES allow me to eject that disk.

I'll check in an Insider pc and report that...should be consistent

Reaction score
Removing USB devices from my PC using the icon seems to be inconsistent also. If a thumb drive refuses to be removed safely from the icon, I go to the desktop click on "My PC" right click on the USB thumb drive and eject it safely. If it happens to be my USB HD that wont allow me to remove safely the above option for the thumb drive isn't available for a HD?

The message I get is reads something like "Windows is unable to safely remove the device another program is using it. I have checked Task Manager and nothing is running. As my backups are on the USB HD I shut down the PC and remove the drive, The last thing I need is corrupt Image files from unsafe removal.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The message I get is reads something like "Windows is unable to safely remove the device another program is using it.

When that occurs, simply pause then click the Safely Remove icon in taskbar again and it will be ready to safely remove.

Reaction score
Tim HI
When this event occurs, I can wait and hour or so, makes no difference. The message it receive after clicking on the icon Has a Yellow ! mark with text that reads:
"Problem Ejecting Mass Storage Device.
Windows is unable to stop the device USB Mass Storage Device.
Don't remove the device while it is in use.
Close any programs using this device and then remove it."

Note: I just attempted Tim's suggestion Run type
That doesn't work either The message says "Device is not removable and can not be ejected or unplugged? Turning off the PC is the only safe option I have.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Maybe check device manager.
Expand Disk drives, right click the problem drive and choose properties and then look at the Policies tab and confirm that it is configured for "Quick removal"
Occasionally, if write caching is enabled then you run into this issue or at least that has been my experience sometimes.

Reaction score
Trouble. I've been there and done that. There is no policies tab for my hard drives, thumb drives "Yes" and the policy is configured for "Quick Removal"

Reaction score
Maybe check device manager.
Expand Disk drives, right click the problem drive and choose properties and then look at the Policies tab and confirm that it is configured for "Quick removal"
Occasionally, if write caching is enabled then you run into this issue or at least that has been my experience sometimes.
Hi Trouble,
I tried what you said to try and write caching is enabled and when I click on the Policies tab, there isn't any Quick Removal. Thanks for your help though.

Reaction score
have you checked ?

Settings, System, Notifications & Actions, click on - Select which icons appear on the taskbar,

switch from Off to On for the 'Windows Explorer' (Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media)
Hi Clorey74,

It's not a good idea to unplug devices from your USB port you have not stopped first.

If you wish to activate the Safely Remove Hardware manually you can do the following:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Run
  • In the Run dialog type or copy & paste the following:

Code:

Click OK to execute

You could also create a permanent shortcut which you can pin to the taskbar like so:
  • Right-click on Desktop
  • Select New > Shortcut
  • In the field that opens type or copy & paste the following:

Code:

Click Next button

In the next field for name enter Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media then click OK

Note: You can name it whatever you want to, but that is its official name.

Right-click on your new shortcut and select Pin to taskbar

Regards,

Regedit32
Hi Regedit32, I have done what you suggested and I now have the icon on the taskbar, but there isn't anything in it when I click on it. So really, I am no further ahead right? Thanks for helping me, though.

Reaction score
Clorey74 Try this to restore your missing icon
As a suggestion Click on "Start" > click on settings > System > "Notifications and Actions" > click on "Select which icons appear on taskbar" Locate "Windows Explorer Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media". and make sure it is turned "ON"

Ask a Question