Saving W10 free download to usb drive

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 on my desktop pc and I'm considering the free upgrade to W10. However, I'm on a metered internet connection and can't afford the 4 or more GB free download for W10. Would I be able download the W10 ISO image to a flash drive or usb hard drive using my laptop at the local library which had WIFI internet access. And then, be able to install the free W10 upgrade from the saved image file to my home desktop ? If there a better way, can someone direct me ? I do understand that W10 does make some concession on the forced W10 updates for metered connection, but I'll deal with that later.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Short answer = Yes.
Before doing so please take the time to make a disk image of your current install before proceeding.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
Just in case things don't go as expected.
Then go here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Download the ISO.
The Top choice Windows 10 is likely the one you want (not single languarge version at the bottom).
The ISO will include the ability to upgrade both Home and Pro.
Just pick your language and your bit version, making sure you get the proper bit version (32 or 64 bit) for the system you intende to upgrade.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Yes, I did intend on saving a backup image of W7. The link to your W10 ISO image save dead ended me into the Microsoft sign in page with the message :

"Sign in

Something went wrong and we can't sign you in right now. Please try again later."

I tried later, to no avail.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I just tested it and it seems to work perfectly fine for me. There is an option to sign-in in the top right corner, but I'm not and I don't.
Are you using Internet Explorer?
Start button, all apps, windows accessories, internet explorer.

Reaction score
I'm using Chrome and I was already signed into my Microsoft account when I was redirected to the Sign in window. The problem is apparently with my Desktop pc as I have no problem with the link taking me directly to the download site when I try it with my laptop (which is where I will actually need it for the download later).

Ask a Question