Scaling Glitch with Fullscreen Applications

Reaction score
Hello all.

I have been suffering a scaling glitch for quite sometime now, where my display will get stuck in a loop of black screen and static after opening or closing a fullscreen application, forcing me to unplug and replug my HDMI in order for my desktop or app to appear. I am assuming it has something to do with the Windows 10 scaling option, as I have my desktop hooked up to a 4K TV via HDMI, with 4097x2160 resolution and a 150% scaling under Advanced Display > Scale and Layout. The glitch happens when opening or closing fullscreen games, or movies from iTunes. The resolution of the fullscreen apps do not seem to matter. I would rather keep using the scaling factor, as everything is too small on the 100% option.
Does anyone know a fix?

Build: Self-built Custom Win10 Desktop
Display: LG OLED 4K TV
CPU: Intel i7-4790k @ 4.0 GHz / 4.6 GHz Turbo
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti
RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB DDR3
PSU: NZXT 850W
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme 6
SS-Drive: SanDisk Ultra II 1TB
Heatsink: Corsair Hydro Series H115i Liquid Cooler

Thank you for your time.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
In the Nvidia control panel, do you have it set to native resolution? Do you have the Precision X 1 software installed? Have you disabled the onbaord GPU in the BIOS? Does the CPU support 4K resolution?

From your CPU info page;

Annotation 2020-06-13 063216.png

Reaction score
In the Nvidia control panel, do you have it set to native resolution? Do you have the Precision X 1 software installed? Have you disabled the onbaord GPU in the BIOS? Does the CPU support 4K resolution?

From your CPU info page;

View attachment 11901

Thank you for the information. I do not have Precision software installed. My native resolution is 3840x2160. In the NCP I have it set to 4097x2160, despite the max CPU resolution. Everything else seems to display 4097x2160 just fine regardless, which is why I kept it on this setting.

On disabling the onboard graphics in the BIOS, wouldn't doing this prevent the display from showing anything, in the event of my GPU failing?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
On disabling the onboard graphics in the BIOS, wouldn't doing this prevent the display from showing anything, in the event of my GPU failing?
No....as it would automatically switch from dedicated to onboard.

Download the Precision software and setup your GPU for maximum performance, especially the fan curve. Otherwise your GPU will tend to run hot.

As far as the Rez goes....I would set it at the native. That's just me. One thing to check is the cable. Does the cable that connects monitor to GPU actually support that UHD Rez? You may need a new cable.

Reaction score

Download the Precision software and setup your GPU for maximum performance, especially the fan curve. Otherwise your GPU will tend to run hot.

As far as the Rez goes....I would set it at the native. That's just me. One thing to check is the cable. Does the cable that connects monitor to GPU actually support that UHD Rez? You may need a new cable.

Okay thank you. I'll use the native resolution from now on and see what happens.
I know the 4097x2160 resolution doesn't exactly fit, but I simply couldn't disregard the additional image quality at the time of selecting it. As for the cable, I already went through that. I did make sure my current one did support it and is certified.

Reaction score

Update: The issue is persisting, even when using the native resolution.

Ask a Question