SOLVED Printer glitch

Reaction score
I have an Epson Stylus 2200 I hadn't used in several months. It's connected to the PC USB and I print with PSP CS6. When I recently made a print it came out pink and when checking printer settings I saw ICM wasn't checked, though it was elsewhere in PC settings.Clicking on ICM crashed PSP. This didn't occur when I allowed the printer to manage color. It also didn't happen when I printed using a different Epson multipurpose printer. Then I could check ICM and no PSP crash. I also cleared Preferences in PSP thinking that might be the cause but no benefit.

I contacted Epson, uninstalled the Epson driver and reinstalled per their idea a driver was corrupted. Nothing has helped. Having read of printer problems after Win 10 upgrades I'm wondering if this might be the cause. I do see critical error entries in the PC's Event viewer but don't have the skills to interpret the entry.

How would you folks recommend I proceed? It's an old printer but mechanically sound.
Thanks ,
Arnold

Reaction score
Hi Arnold,

what version of Win 10 do you have?:

The last driver is from 2013, that might be the reason?:

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/...ries/Epson-Stylus-Photo-2200/s/SPT_C11C387011 :(

Reaction score
I think Your Printer head needs a clean, or one of the cartridges is running low on ink - in particular the magenta.

But your post:
Have you tried switching off the ICM in the settings, or, alternatively, switch off there and ONLY enable through the printer settings.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi. Wolfie, it's Win Pro v. 1809. The Epson tech said to install the R1900 driver, which is supposed to be compatible but couldn't install.
Davehc, the inks are fine and I will clean the head after seeing a blurry test print. I'll also try your idea of switching off ICM in settings.
Thanks guys

Reaction score
Hi Arnold,

I would first upgrade to 1909 and then try installing the software package you are having trouble with, it might be worth the effort?. ;)

Reaction score
Have found a problem with 1909 not installing automatically after restart. Maybe that's the issue. I'll check and get back to you, if Win 10 cooperates.

Reaction score
Was able to install 1909 but no luck in installing the 6.62 driver. From the number of threads I see it looks like printer issues are very common. Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Reaction score
What is the current status? Is the printer now performing correctly, but a problem with updating the drivers?

If the printer is not working at all. Try removing the reference to it in the settings - Devices, - Printers and settings. Then , at the top Add. Use the options to find your printer. Have the new printer drivers ready in a known location and, if asked, point the settings to that location to reinstall the drivers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Spoke to Epson 2nd level support, once again reinstalled v. 5.93 and CS6 still crashes when selecting ICM. Tech. suggested asking Adobe support if they have any information on ICM crashes. He also thought it significant that the Epson 2200 didn't show in Win 10 apps and features.
Anyway, given Adobe's stellar support reputation I'm not expecting too much.
Davehc, except for the inability to select ICM for the Epson 2200 the printer works perfectly but I will try your idea.

Thanks

Reaction score
Davehc, I wanted to mention that the Epson tech also had me delete the Epson from Printers and settings and then reinstall the driver. Any significance that deleting the printer didn't delete the driver from the download list? In my attempt to identify the problem I've seen comments about needing to do a complete uninstall before reinstalling drivers.

Reaction score
"ve seen comments about needing to do a complete uninstall before reinstalling drivers. "

I agree 100% with that

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understood the Epson tech's explanation of why I should contact Adobe but I did an experiment that confirms the idea. I have some free Nikon processing software, which I never used, and found it could work with the Epson. I could set the ICM, the printer didn't crash and, print quality aside, confirms CS6 is playing a role in the Epson crashing. I'm not a techie but my thinking is the printer driver is from 2013, Win 10 has made many changes and, since Adobe has gone to CC, it hasn't kept it's older product in synch with both Win 10 and the Epson.
While I don't know if Adobe can or will confirm any of this, would they have a fix?
Maybe I have a delusion software lasts forever.

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie and Davehc,
I wanted to thank you and let you know my problem is, indirectly, solved. I found a 7 year thread about printers crashing PSP, with an Adobe rep. claiming it was faulty printer drivers and various pros blaming Adobe. There were suggested work arounds to delete PSP data. While wondering what to do I discovered Epson had discontinued Epson 2200 ink!
I'm happy to report that, so far, my new Epson p600 hasn't crashed PSP.

Reaction score
Hi Arnold,

glad to hear it, please mark the thread as solved so it helps others. :)

Ask a Question