Printer problem

Reaction score
I have a HP Deskjet 3050 printer/scanner. Our new PC with Windows 10 was set up on Sunday. I had to install the printer with files downloaded from HP as there is no disc drive. The printer shows as present and installed. I did a short document with Wordpad which printed. Test pages were fine also. Then on Monday night I tried to print a PDF file from an email and it wouldn’t print. Over the past couple of days I have uninstalled, reinstalled, used the print doctor from HP to see if it would tell me what is wrong, everything I can think of. I installed Adobe Reader as I read somewhere that this would help. Then I managed to print a PDF from an email but when I tried another no luck. I also tried to print a bank statement from my banks website and no luck.
I would appreciate any advice you can give, preferably in plain English! Many thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Additionally....
I tried to print a PDF file from an email and it wouldn’t print.
What did it do....
Did the print job enter the print queue?
Did it get stuck in the print queue?
Did you receive any error message on your computer?
Did the printer generate any error message or lights that might suggest a problem with tray selection or paper size / type error?
How is the printer connected to the computer USB -> Wireless -> Other?
Can you printer a test page from Printer Properties?
Have you tried Word Pad or other programs, you mentioned that you had tried Notepad.... does it still print without issue.

IF the only issue is with PDF documents then that might suggest that the document(s) have some unique protection, prevent reproducing them either for security or copyright reasons.

Regedit32

Reaction score
In addition to what has been stated by others here, I notice that HP themselves recommend uninstalling Acrobat Reader, then restarting computer, then returning to Adobe's official website and making sure to download Acrobat Reader DC.

Apparently, an earlier version of the free Acrobat Reader has been known to prevent the printing of pdf files on HP printers.

I cannot elaborate more, as they don't explain the issue in any great detail.

In summary if you currently have Acrobater Reader, versus the recommend Acrobat Reader DC version, then following their advice might resolve your issue.

Reaction score
Additionally....

What did it do....
Did the print job enter the print queue?
Did it get stuck in the print queue?
Did you receive any error message on your computer?
Did the printer generate any error message or lights that might suggest a problem with tray selection or paper size / type error?
How is the printer connected to the computer USB -> Wireless -> Other?
Can you printer a test page from Printer Properties?
Have you tried Word Pad or other programs, you mentioned that you had tried Notepad.... does it still print without issue.

IF the only issue is with PDF documents then that might suggest that the document(s) have some unique protection, prevent reproducing them either for security or copyright reasons.
It didn’t enter the print queue.
No error messages.
Connected via USB.
Yes it can print a test page.
It prints from Wordpad.
The PDFs are ones I get all the time as they are either invoices or notifications and it also won’t print a statement from my online banking page - always has done before on both counts.

Reaction score
In addition to what has been stated by others here, I notice that HP themselves recommend uninstalling Acrobat Reader, then restarting computer, then returning to Adobe's official website and making sure to download Acrobat Reader DC.

Apparently, an earlier version of the free Acrobat Reader has been known to prevent the printing of pdf files on HP printers.

I cannot elaborate more, as they don't explain the issue in any great detail.

In summary if you currently have Acrobater Reader, versus the recommend Acrobat Reader DC version, then following their advice might resolve your issue.
Thanks for the suggestion. Will follow it up as soon as I can.

Ask a Question