Screen Goes Black/Disappears

Reaction score
Upon start up of my PC it loads up then the screen goes blank, like its in sleep mode, no mouse nothing, if I turn the monitor on and off, the screen appears for a second or two then disappears again.
I tried restarting in safe to check drivers but it does exactly the same thing here. In safe mode however, under monitors Generic PNP Monitor has the Yellow Exclamation mark indicating an issue. I have tried uninstalling this and also my graphics drivers and it seemed to work for the first time. Next day I turned on my PC again and the same thing is happening. I have to constantly turn on and off my monitor so I can navigate to the relevant areas to uninstall drivers etc.
I have tried a Google search but everything I have read has said something about having a mouse pointer on a blank screen but I do not even have that.
I did try a fresh install of Windows 10 but that did not solve the problem, so based on that I'm guessing its a hardware issue, not a software issue.
My graphics are built in, not a separate card which the driver for this is labelled Intel HD(R) Graphics.
Unfortunately I do not have access to another monitor to check to see if the monitor is faulty.

Just to add, this just started randomly before a fresh Windows 10 install. I had been running the operating system for a good 6 weeks ish before hand with no problems at all

If anyone has any suggestions or advice I would be hugely grateful.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have tried uninstalling this and also my graphics drivers and it seemed to work for the first time. Next day I turned on my PC again and the same thing is happening
Maybe focus on your GPU. It sounds like you are getting a driver update for that automatically and as a consequence, everytime that occurs then you're back to square one again.
I know that there are some issues or at least have been with certain Intel GPUs, especially older versions and something called Intel Graphics Accelerator or something like that.
You may want to go straight to Intel http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect and use their driver update utility to see if you can get a jump on things and maybe prevent Windows Update from installing a less than optimal driver.

You don't mention what type of PC this is, but if it is a desktop, do you have the option of installing a GPU addin card to see if the issue is directly related to the Intel card?

Reaction score
Maybe focus on your GPU. It sounds like you are getting a driver update for that automatically and as a consequence, everytime that occurs then you're back to square one again.
I know that there are some issues or at least have been with certain Intel GPUs, especially older versions and something called Intel Graphics Accelerator or something like that.
You may want to go straight to Intel http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect and use their driver update utility to see if you can get a jump on things and maybe prevent Windows Update from installing a less than optimal driver.

You don't mention what type of PC this is, but if it is a desktop, do you have the option of installing a GPU addin card to see if the issue is directly related to the Intel card?

Thanks for your response Trouble.
I downloaded the driver update utility, but it said that there are no updates available for my pc.
It is a desktop pc that runs on built in graphics, I'm thinking it might be worth picking up a cheapish card to see if that fixes the problem. Would I need to change the settings in the BIOS if I go down the route of a different card?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Would I need to change the settings in the BIOS
You may..... depending on the BIOS, you may have an option to disable the onboard integrated card, but minimally you should have an option to select which one to use it'll likely say something like integrated or addin or it may make reference to the actual PCI or PCIe slot on the mainboard rather than "addin" every BIOS is slightly different in options and wording, so if you have a manual or can download the motherboard manual it might help you sort through it.
Might I suggest that if you do go with the addin card you first (if possible) choose a vendor with a reasonable return policy in case it doesn't resolve the issue.
Second check to see if there are Windows 10 drivers for it (something with an nVidia chipset rather than AMD or Intel, might be a better choice)
Third make sure of your mainboard's capabilities. Does it have a PCI slot free, does it have a PCIe slot free or at all, is the available Slot only AGP. Things you need to know in advance of purchase.

Reaction score
You may..... depending on the BIOS, you may have an option to disable the onboard integrated card, but minimally you should have an option to select which one to use it'll likely say something like integrated or addin or it may make reference to the actual PCI or PCIe slot on the mainboard rather than "addin" every BIOS is slightly different in options and wording, so if you have a manual or can download the motherboard manual it might help you sort through it.
Might I suggest that if you do go with the addin card you first (if possible) choose a vendor with a reasonable return policy in case it doesn't resolve the issue.
Second check to see if there are Windows 10 drivers for it (something with an nVidia chipset rather than AMD or Intel, might be a better choice)
Third make sure of your mainboard's capabilities. Does it have a PCI slot free, does it have a PCIe slot free or at all, is the available Slot only AGP. Things you need to in advance of purchase.

Once again thanks. Will give it a go on the weekend. Really hope this sorts the problem.

Ask a Question