SOLVED Search Icon

Reaction score
i cant get the search icon to work for Windows 10! I tried the power shell https techmesto like someone suggested and it tells me that it is not recognized as a cmdlet! What do I do now?

Reaction score
Try this:

Right click the start button and select "Run"
In the run box, type Services.msc
Scroll down the list to Windows Search
It should be saying it is running and on automatic.
If not, double click it and, in the "Start up type" change it to automatic., click "Start" and then Apply.

See if this does the trick.

Reaction score
Try this:

Right click the start button and select "Run"
In the run box, type Services.msc
Scroll down the list to Windows Search
It should be saying it is running and on automatic.
If not, double click it and, in the "Start up type" change it to automatic., click "Start" and then Apply.

See if this does the trick.
It didn't work! I still can't click on the search icon and I can't find internet explorer!

Reaction score
Have you restarted your pc yet AFTER trying Mmstrayer's suggestion? Sometimes it requires a restart , even if Windows DIDN'T prompt you to, to activate the new services.msc setting on the particular service.

Also, are you saying when you press the Windows logo button on your keyboard ( aka what I call the Start button) to open up the start menu and THEN you start typing " Internet Explorer", you don't see Internet Explorer?

Ensure you are not running a third party program like Classic shell or the like that could interfere with Windows' native start menu. I learned that the hard way because I was so used to using classic shell since the win 8 tech preview days of summer 2012, that I forgot I had THAT program running already and wondered why my stock Windows 10 start menu wouldn't work 100%

Reaction score
IE wasn't ,mentioned in your initial post?

Open the start menu and "All Apps"
scroll down to Windows accessories.
IE should be in that folder. You can right click it, select "more", and pin it to the taskbar

Reaction score
Have you restarted your pc yet AFTER trying Mmstrayer's suggestion? Sometimes it requires a restart , even if Windows DIDN'T prompt you to, to activate the new services.msc setting on the particular service.

Also, are you saying when you press the Windows logo button on your keyboard ( aka what I call the Start button) to open up the start menu and THEN you start typing " Internet Explorer", you don't see Internet Explorer?

Ensure you are not running a third party program like Classic shell or the like that could interfere with Windows' native start menu. I learned that the hard way because I was so used to using classic shell since the win 8 tech preview days of summer 2012, that I forgot I had THAT program running already and wondered why my stock Windows 10 start menu wouldn't work 100%
I don't know what classic shell is or where it is! This is a brand new computer! Worked fine until the recent update!

Reaction score
Someone told me I had to verify my identity! When I go to security and maintenance and try to verify, nothing happens when I click the verify button! I am so frustrated! Ready to throw this computer through my window

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Worked fine until the recent update!
Have you tried using a system restore point to go back to a point in time prior to "the recent update", to see if that remedies the problem and confirms your suspicions?

Reaction score
Ok everyone, this is my problem! 1 I can't fine i.e. On the computer! 2 I cannot left click on the start button, I can only right click! There is no all apps button when I right click on the start menu! 3 I have tried to verify my identity but when I click on the button nothing happens! I hope this makes sense to you all! It is driving me crazy! I have a daughter getting married and need this computer to work on stuff for the wedding!!!!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
from an elevated command prompt by typing
chkdsk C: /R into the command prompt window
hit enter
respond with a "Y" when prompted
type
exit
hit enter
reboot and let it run.
It'll likely take a long time, sometimes a very long time to completely finish. Do not interrupt it.

Reaction score
from an elevated command prompt by typing
chkdsk C: /R into the command prompt window
hit enter
respond with a "Y" when prompted
type
exit
hit enter
reboot and let it run.
It'll likely take a long time, sometimes a very long time to completely finish. Do not interrupt it.
How do I get an elevated prompt

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin)...
OR
Browse to C:\Windows\System32 and find cmd.exe and right click that and choose run as administrator.

Ask a Question