Service hosts high and gradual memory usage

Reaction score
For the past few days my pc have been lagging out and games that I run are performing worse than it should be, and it all follow the same pattern of; the longer I let the PC run the slower it becomes.

And for a long time I was clueless of what the issue is, until 2 days ago where I opened the the task manager and I saw the memory usage was at 50%, which was weird since I had no nothing running in the background.

And after I left my pc on for few minute it would cap out at 99% which then my pc becomes absolutely unusable.

And it's only after I scroll down then I found the culprit that has been leeching my ram...
The service hosts! And I mean ALL of the service hosts, each of them consuming 100+MB.

I have tried all of the fixes that I could through the registry editor via yt videos, and I don't know where/who I can turn to now):

Regedit32

Reaction score
No idea what videos you'd be viewing but I would guess you've been lead to believe playing around with page file setup via Registry settings was a magic pill. If you've been mucking around with how Windows manages memory either via the Registry or via the built in settings dialog for Memory - my advice reverse everything you did.

The Service Hosts manage all sorts of Windows processes and generally run simultaneously without causing issues. Things that can prevent this working normally, and thus allowing cpu usage or memory usage being released tend to be one of three things:
  • Faulty memory (i.e. Ram is failing or somehow dislodged)
  • Corrupted System files
  • A corrupted profile
It'd help if you could provide the forum some details about your computer and its specifications, but in the mean while, after reversing those Registry tweaks you made - easiest way to do that would be to use a restore point that predates your tweaking - open your Command prompt in elevated mode [ i.e. Run as administrator ], then when the prompt is open run a System File check by entering the following command:
  • sfc /scannow pressing your Enter key to execute.

Report back to us your computer specifications, the current version of Windows you are using and the results of your SFC scan, and I'm sure someone will be able to help you more [ should the SFC scan not manage to repair issues for you ].

Also let us know if you've recently logged into Microsoft Store, as many of the built-in apps are ready for updating, and I am aware all ready of one app [ Mail app ] that is bugged - which I alerted the forum to the other day. Perhaps other apps are also bugged.

Regards,

Regedit32

ps: Have you installed any third party apps recently? New game, something else? If so what?

Reaction score
No idea what videos you'd be viewing but I would guess you've been lead to believe playing around with page file setup via Registry settings was a magic pill. If you've been mucking around with how Windows manages memory either via the Registry or via the built in settings dialog for Memory - my advice reverse everything you did.

The Service Hosts manage all sorts of Windows processes and generally run simultaneously without causing issues. Things that can prevent this working normally, and thus allowing cpu usage or memory usage being released tend to be one of three things:
  • Faulty memory (i.e. Ram is failing or somehow dislodged)
  • Corrupted System files
  • A corrupted profile
It'd help if you could provide the forum some details about your computer and its specifications, but in the mean while, after reversing those Registry tweaks you made - easiest way to do that would be to use a restore point that predates your tweaking - open your Command prompt in elevated mode [ i.e. Run as administrator ], then when the prompt is open run a System File check by entering the following command:
  • sfc /scannow pressing your Enter key to execute.

Report back to us your computer specifications, the current version of Windows you are using and the results of your SFC scan, and I'm sure someone will be able to help you more [ should the SFC scan not manage to repair issues for you ].

Also let us know if you've recently logged into Microsoft Store, as many of the built-in apps are ready for updating, and I am aware all ready of one app [ Mail app ] that is bugged - which I alerted the forum to the other day. Perhaps other apps are also bugged.

Regards,

Regedit32

ps: Have you installed any third party apps recently? New game, something else? If so what?
Pc specs: pentium g4560, 1050 ti, with 8gb ddr4
The sfc scan results: no integrity violations
Windows: ver 1803, (build 17134.885)
regedit tweaks: reverted
Login to microsoft app?: haven't

Status report over.

Reaction score
You could try updating the OS first?
You should be on Version 1903 (os build 18362,329

Reaction score
You could try updating the OS first?
You should be on Version 1903 (os build 18362,329
"Error encountered" it said. "There were some problems installing updates."

Also it says that my device isn't quite ready for it.
Does it have to do with where I live? I am in indonesia.

Reaction score
Sorry. No, nothing to do with where you live. Microsoft had a few errors with that update and are releasing it in stages. It is taking a long time (Too long, imho) You can only wait.
A fresh clean install usually works, but then you will need to reinstall all your software. If you do take that step, please make sure you have a standbye image ready!

Reaction score
Sorry. No, nothing to do with where you live. Microsoft had a few errors with that update and are releasing it in stages. It is taking a long time (Too long, imho) You can only wait.
That's unfortunate, well thanks for the reply.
Though I gotta ask if you ever encountered with problems that I am currently experiencing? The service hosts being a hog and whatnot

Reaction score
I have not. But continue with Regedit, he may be able to sort out something for you.

Ask a Question