Should I update my BIOS to try to fix a non working audio jack?

Reaction score
Hello guys, new here.

Some time ago my laptop stopped recognizing that a earphone jack is plugged in and plays all sounds through the speakers instead.

After searching endlessly on the internet, I found of just one guy who made a bios update and got the audio jack working again. Ironically, if you search for something like "bios update audio jack", there's a lot more people reporting the audio jack not working anymore after the update. But I'm already in that situation, so, I guess I shouldn't worry about that. The only thing I'm concerned about is that I've never done a bios update before, I'd have to learn what to do. I don't think it's something I can't do, I've done things like that in the past, I just don't want to run any unnecessary risk.

Do you guys think a bios update might make the audio jack work again?

More details on the issue:
- Currently on Realtek High Definition Audio driver version 6.0.8899.1, date 18/02/2020. Was on some 2015 driver when this problem started, and before settling with this current driver I'm using, I tried various ones and also tried uninstalling them completely. Still the same.

- Windows 10 v1909 build 18363.836 (was on v1903 when this problem started)

- The earphones are fine, I tried 2 different ones and also tried them on other devices, they work.

- The audio jack port appears to be clear on the inside, when looking down the hole.

- When I boot the computer with the earphones plugged, before Windows loads up I can hear some faint whitenoise in the earphones, as if the audio is correctly being playing through them. But as soon as Windows starts loading up, the earphones get muted and all audio is played from the laptop speakers instead. I've been told that you can get white noise before the system loads as the drivers are not active and active noise cancelling is not working yet. I would have thought this should prove that on a hardware level the jack port works, but I was also told it might not be the case.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Do you guys think a bios update might make the audio jack work again?
No....The issue is with the port itself. Most likely that it came loose from the mobo or the ribbon cable (if it has one) has gotten pinched. That said, it will have to be serviced by an authorized service center.

Reaction score
I agree with Bassfisher6522. This is not a software issue rather than a hardware issue. Those little 3.5mm jacks are easily worn out or oxidized. However, you could try to clean the jack. Use a little contact cleaner (the less the better), put it on the plug and insert it into the jack,moving it in and out (alcohol as in isopropanol may work as well). Sometimes it helps...

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. But what about that guy who updated the bio and got the jack working again? That's why I thought it was worth a try, maybe...

Reaction score
Just a thought, if it were mine I'd boot to a Linux LiveDVD or Bootable USB thumb drive to rule out a hardware issue, see if the sound is properly diverted to the front port when plugging speakers or headset into it.

Reaction score
What should I do exactly? I never used Linux. I can download it and put it on a USB stick, and then just boot with it?

Reaction score
Does the computer have an ODD/Optical Disc Drive? If so a Linux LiveDVD .iso file can be downloaded and used to burn the DVD, will be an exact copy of the original disc. There's a number of versions available, I like Linux Mint as it includes some programs one can use but so does Ubuntu. Nice part is they are free and have a desktop that won't be too unfamiliar to a Windows user.

Reaction score
Does the laptop in Settings-> System-> Sound, recognize two output devices? If so have you tried selecting the headphones, (hey will have to be plugged in of course)

My PC recognizes two output sound devices. The monitor ( via HDMI) and the RealTek sound ports on the PC and I can select.

Reaction score
On a computer with an ODD I download the .iso file to Downloads, create the bootable DVD [should work with File Explorer], burn the disc, boot to it then use the image writer pointing the Source to the files in the Downloads folder.

Yes, Linux can access the drive in the computer for where the .iso file is located.

This may also be a possibility I just found, haven't tried it yet:
Seems it should work in Windows and may not need the ODD.

Reaction score
Does the laptop in Settings-> System-> Sound, recognize two output devices? If so have you tried selecting the headphones, (hey will have to be plugged in of course)

My PC recognizes two output sound devices. The monitor ( via HDMI) and the RealTek sound ports on the PC and I can select.

In Settings-> System-> Sound, I have to output devices.
1) Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
2) Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Actually, I don't understand what's the difference. What's a "digital output"?

Anyway, if I select option 2, all audio is not played, from either speakers or headphones. On option 1, the one I use, I can hear sound coming out from speakers, not from headphones. This used to work with headphones before, without having to change output device or anything.

On a computer with an ODD I download the .iso file to Downloads, create the bootable DVD [should work with File Explorer], burn the disc, boot to it then use the image writer pointing the Source to the files in the Downloads folder.

Yes, Linux can access the drive in the computer for where the .iso file is located.

This may also be a possibility I just found, haven't tried it yet:
Seems it should work in Windows and may not need the ODD.

I don't have access to an ODD but I'll check that link.
Actually now that I think about it, I have a secondary hard disk which still has Windows 7 installed. I think I could set the computer to boot from that instead than the main SSD with Windows 10, right? I think I have to do something in the bios about choosing the priority order of bootable drives? Then if I can boot Windows 7 I can see if audio plays or not, at that point if it doesn't play it must be a hardware issue, I guess.

Reaction score
Hmm.... I just went in to the Bios and under the Boot tab I have this:

Boot Option Priorities (this is just a title, can't be selected)
Boot Option #1 [Windows Boot Manager] (this can be set to Disable)

> UEFI Setting

If I open UEFI Settings, I have:

UEFI Boot [Enabled]
Launch CSM [Disabled]
Network Stack [Disabled]

I looked around but I didn't seem to find any drives to select. I'm guessing the Windows Boot Manager is choosing things automatically?

I also tried to removed the SDD with Windows 10 and leaving the HDD with Windows 7, but it wouldn't boot. I just get a message saying: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". Pressing any key just displays another identical message.

Last edited:

Ask a Question