Shut down without my permission

Reaction score
I haven't had this problem in at least 10 years, and I have to say, I'm really angry that I had it a few hours ago.

My computer is set to "Notify to schedule restart". It should NEVER, EVER restart without my specific permission. Disconnecting me, closing me down in the middle of a gaming session, is ridiculous in the extreme. Expecting me to stop playing in the middle of my play, especially when other people are involved, in 15 minutes, just shows how out of touch with the users of Windows Microsoft really is. And, pop-ups in the middle of my game play? I don't want to see anything that isn't a BSOD.

I don't get it. I seriously don't. I mean, I'm a Windows fan. I have a Windows phone. I have some idea what it takes to make what is pretty much a universal desktop PC operating system, something no one else has really done. But you've been removing features since Win 8 and it makes no sense. I have to run a command line to set different backgrounds on my monitors. Yeah, some people can't manage their computers, need their hands held - but some of us aren't those people. We want the features we had - more if we can get it, but certainly not less.

A newer version of an OS should never have features removed.

And now you shut down my game session to force your update.

Are you trying to drive me to Linux, and to Android for my phone?

Reaction score
Welcome to the club, I'm there with you.

It seems half the time now a days, if I want to do a quick restart, I'll have to wait for Windows Update. In fact I've had to do that today. And it was instant fury. At that moment I could have taken a ball bat to anyone of Microsoft's employees.

Reaction score
I don't understand why your PC would shut down. My Win 10 Pro updates and informs me it will download the updates when the computer is not in use.

Reaction score
I don't understand why your PC would shut down. My Win 10 Pro updates and informs me it will download the updates when the computer is not in use.

This is what it has done until last night (I also use Win 10 Pro).

I assumed it was the Anniversary Edition because it acted like a new install, but I don't see any news about it, and that's supposed to come in July. It gave me the "installed new features, let's get started" screens when it finished. Just checking around my computer a little I haven't seen Anniversary Edition features. Maybe it's because I signed up for the Windows Insider program for my phone and something got confused? But Insider has never updated my desktop version before. My phone gets a notification and I install it when I want to.

I have always installed Win 10 updates, the ones that required a restart and weren't handled automatically in a behind-the scenes way, as soon as I knew about them. This time - no warning besides a pop-up while I was in the middle of a campaign with other players (the choices were "update now" and "later", I chose later). And that's the big thing, what got me mad. I don't like automatic updated anything; I put up when them when I have to and when I have a choice it's "notify me". And this is the reason why - I don't want my game sessions shut down when I'm playing, particularly if I'm in a group with other people that are depending on me to do my part.

So, maybe it was a fluke, a bug, something went wrong with the Win Update process or Win Insider program. But the fact is I don't need any kind of automatic updates to begin with, I can and did keep my system current on my own, and resent the ability to handle that myself being taken away from me.

Other programs I use give me a notice on start-up if an update is available. They don't actually force the update. I don't see why Windows itself can't do the same thing.

Reaction score
On another forum I found some interesting Win 10 update information I thought is worth sharing.
Local Group Policy
open Cortana and type edit group policy and select it.

Then navigate to computer configuration --> administrative tools --> windows components --> windows updates. And select configure automatic there are options to set windows update manually. Set it as you desire accordingly.

Reaction score
Thank you very much Norton. :)

I performed the action, disabling automatic updates entirely. Hopefully it will work; it says it's for Win XP.

The crazy thing is a lot of the old code is still in the OS, it just isn't accessible through the GUI. I could understand removing some features Microsoft thinks few people use in order to make the OS lean and more efficient for low-powered devices, but they leave all this stuff in it - why? Can't their software engineers figure these things out?

Removing features is simply a bad policy. Modern smart phones are more capable than desktop computers were when Windows came out, it simply makes no sense to gut an OS in order to make it "more efficient".

On top of it all, we can't access this component by simply clicking on Control Panel, going to Administrative tools, and finding the right configuration. Doing that gives us a "Quick Access" view of only part of the Windows processes.

Reaction score
Penterax, I have not gotten an update since 4/12... If that was the last one then you are far behind and I assume Windows will not wait forever for you to allow updates.

Your comments about joining the Insider program just confuses the situation but since this is not an Insider forum possibly you need to take it there.

Reaction score
Penterax I think MS Windows puts out updates every Tuesday. I suggest that you update manually on a regular basis.

Reaction score
As Saltgrass says.
As penterax has moved the goal posts, with intimating that he has joined the insider program, that is a whole new update/upgrade issue. Within Windows 10, and excluding the insider, updates will never proceed whilst you are busy, you have set it to notify for a restart.

Ask a Question