Sleep and password settings not working.

Reaction score
Sleep and password settings do not work. Even though they are set for "do not sleep when plugged in" the computer falls asleep after 60 seconds. I must constantly mess with the touchpad to keep it awake. AND every time it goes to sleep I have to use a password to wake it. In the settings I have it set to not use a password on wakeup. Acer Aspire V laptop automatically upgraded to windows 10 over about a 10 month process.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Double check and make sure that your issue is not with your screen saver settings instead of what you suspect regarding your power schema.
Click Start, choose Settings, Choose Personalization, Left Column Choose Themes, top of right pain click "Theme settings" bottom right of window click "Screen Saver"
Check the "Wait" time and uncheck the box that says "On resume, display logon screen".
Sometimes if you have a blank screen saver chosen it can look similar to sleeping.
Likewise check for your time out settings for your display.

Reaction score
Thanks. You are a Genius. Screen Saver was set to None. But "on resume display log in screen" was checked. Since no screen saver was on I would assume that setting would not make a difference but it apparently did. I walked away from the computer for five minutes and it didn't go to sleep so I guess it is fixed. Thanks again.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Magic. Who knew.
Thanks for the follow-up. Glad it seems to have worked out.
Appreciate the follow-up

Reaction score
I have tried all of the above suggestions and it is still asking for a password on wake up. This is a new laptop and I had it to not require passwords from the original setup. It's set to not require password on wakeup and the screen saver is not checked to require password. Is there somewhere I haven't looked. This is very frustrating.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you checked the Control Panel
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options -> Change plan settings -> Change advanced power settings

PowerPwd.JPG

Ask a Question