Sleep On Lid Close Won't Work

Reaction score
Loving the preview so far but I can't seem to make the laptop got to sleep when the lid is closed. It keeps hibernating. Under my power plan in advanced options It is set to sleep on lid close but when I clicke the button on the side of the power profile page to choose what my computer does when the lid is closed it shows no option selected and when I look at the options there are there it only lists nothing, hibernate, and shutdown. Sleep works on my laptop as I can go to sleep from the shutdown menu. any advice on how to fix this

Reaction score
No idea what's happening with your laptop duel but I have a sleep issue on my desktop, specifically the computer won't go into sleep mode unless I do it manually.

Reaction score
I have a HP Pavilion DV7 mine works ok. Goes to sleep when I close the cover.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can only guess, depending on how you went about installing the Windows 10 Tech Preview.... Custom Clean install or Upgrade (upgrade is not recommended for such OS previews).
In either case you may need to go to the manufacturer's website and download drivers for your current install as the default Microsoft Drivers are likely less than optimal for your rig.

Reaction score
I've noticed this frustrating problem along with a couple of other rather major/bizarre flaws in the new Windows 10. How i fixed this was as follows:

I copy-paste it from other forums...it works for me =)
-------------------
I imagine most people have done this bit but here goes anyway:

Settings -> Accounts -> Sign in options -> Require sign in box (at the top) and select ' WHEN PC WAKES FROM SLEEP'.

THEN i did the following:

Settings -> Personalisation -> select screen saver settings (at the bottom) -> Select the screen saver you want or select none BUT MAKE SURE you check the box that says 'ON RESUME, DISPLAY LOG IN SCREEN'.

Hope that works for you all...

Reaction score
TYry this-

Right click the start button and select the Control Panel - Power Options.
Select your plan (Balanced?) and "Change plan settings."

At the bottom of the next window "Change Advanced power settings"
Scroll down to "Power button and Lid" and open it
Change the setting in there, to that you desire.

See if it works.

If you have no reason to want the hibernate feature, a good way to deal with it is to turn it off entirely.

Open a Command prompt (Admin) and type (or copy and paste):

powercfg -h off and enter.

If you need to restore it again, just replace the off to on.

Reaction score
mine is a dell inspiron 15r
It's a Dell? Say no more. At my computer club it seems so many of the troublesome computers are Dells. I won't even go to a member's home to work on their computer for anything anymore if it's a Dell - had it with them!

Reaction score
All my computers are Dells.
My son is a servicing engineer for Dell.
'All, including a couple of oldies, in the family and with colleagues, are running Windows 10 anniversary - 100%.

Last edited:

Ask a Question