So fed up with Windows 10

Reaction score
I am on the verge of going back to the old windows 7. I originally had windows 8 on my laptop and hated it. I jumped at the chance to upgrade to windows 10, but now windows 8 looked like the better option of the two. So if I reinstall I will put 7 onto my laptop because it worked on my old main frame computer and it worked well, but mostly I liked it.

Since the windows 10 upgrade there were some problems that niggled. i have 1.5 seconds to change a filename, if I take 2 seconds or more, it reverts back to the old filename. Then there is file search. I have hundreds of folders with photos that are sorted by dates. If I am looking for a specific folder, I have five seconds to find it and select it or the page resets and i am at the top of the list again. When looking for a specific file, it has taken me several minutes to find because of the page resetting.

Then a week or two ago there was a massive update, it seemed like windows was reinstalling itself. I hoped the annoying problems would be sorted, but no, I was wrong the problems are far far worse. now my computer is crashing. I have it sticking on a page, unable to change to a new tab or browser. All I can so is reboot the laptop, but even that isn't simple. After my laptop has been on an hour or two, I can no longer access the start bar to power off. My only way to shut down is Ctrl Alt Del. . On occasions I have to power down using the start up button because even Ctrl Alt Del doesn't work The shut down icon appears but I can't actually select it when I move my curser it disappears before I can get to it. I have times when my desktop vanishes, no photos , just a black screen and my program icons have gone. The worst part was when I spent ages typing out some important work, only to find it didn't save because my laptop was in a semi crash state and so nothing I did was registering.

So is there an easy fix? or is my best bet really to go back to Windows 7?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The problems you're experiencing certainly aren't expected - that's not how Windows 10 should behave.

Is sounds like there are lots of problems there, some of which seem to have little in common. You could try running something like "SFC /scannow" (article here). However, I don't think that would make much difference in this instance (although there's no harm in running it).

You mentioned you're considering going back to Windows 7, which would require a clean install if you came from Windows 8. Instead, would you consider doing a clean install of Windows 10 and see if that helps? You could even try a system reset first of all, which is slightly less drastic:

https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/reset-windows-10-from-within-windows.13/

First of all, I would make 100% sure that you've got all your data backed up - as it is very easy to lose files when doing things like this.

Reaction score
I had several of those issues since the mid-November update. Since then I've done a clean re-install of Windows 10 three times. It was running pretty well for over a week until another cumulative update came out this week. Now my firewall doesn't start, Edge doesn't start, Mail doesn't start, the Settings function on the start menu does nothing, and anything having to do with File Explorer lags for about 5 seconds.

I have My Documents in a separate drive partition so they've remained safe when re-installing. I haven't considered going back to Win 7 yet (never had Win 8), but I am getting ready to re-install Win 10 again just as soon as a new hard drive arrives. There's a pretty good walk-through on the re-install process here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

Reaction score
I am on the verge of going back to the old windows 7. I originally had windows 8 on my laptop and hated it. I jumped at the chance to upgrade to windows 10, but now windows 8 looked like the better option of the two. So if I reinstall I will put 7 onto my laptop because it worked on my old main frame computer and it worked well, but mostly I liked it.

Since the windows 10 upgrade there were some problems that niggled. i have 1.5 seconds to change a filename, if I take 2 seconds or more, it reverts back to the old filename. Then there is file search. I have hundreds of folders with photos that are sorted by dates. If I am looking for a specific folder, I have five seconds to find it and select it or the page resets and i am at the top of the list again. When looking for a specific file, it has taken me several minutes to find because of the page resetting.

Then a week or two ago there was a massive update, it seemed like windows was reinstalling itself. I hoped the annoying problems would be sorted, but no, I was wrong the problems are far far worse. now my computer is crashing. I have it sticking on a page, unable to change to a new tab or browser. All I can so is reboot the laptop, but even that isn't simple. After my laptop has been on an hour or two, I can no longer access the start bar to power off. My only way to shut down is Ctrl Alt Del. . On occasions I have to power down using the start up button because even Ctrl Alt Del doesn't work The shut down icon appears but I can't actually select it when I move my curser it disappears before I can get to it. I have times when my desktop vanishes, no photos , just a black screen and my program icons have gone. The worst part was when I spent ages typing out some important work, only to find it didn't save because my laptop was in a semi crash state and so nothing I did was registering.

So is there an easy fix? or is my best bet really to go back to Windows 7?

I totally understand. I missed the deadline to go back to Windows 7 by 1 hour. After the last big update, more programs didn't work. I went back to the previous build. It must be common because one of the reasons was "programs not working with the new build". I still don't have a printer for the Windows 10 computer because of spooler errors. Nothing offered for the last two months have worked for me and many others. I would try going back to the previous build to see if the helps at all. Windows key/Settings/Update and security.

Ask a Question