SOLVED So today, I updated.

Reaction score
After updating my windows 10 laptop this morning, I could no longer open files in Paint.net. Google Chrome no longer functions, and the start menu works about 10% of the time. Any suggestions?
--EDIT--
Using the explorer program for more than five minutes seems to result in he computer crashing as well. Netflix will not open either. Spotify is broken as well. Clicking on files also leads to a computer crash.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Andem,

Hopefully your system created a system restore point before you applied the updates. Assuming you have enough maneuverability, the first thing I would do is to view your update history Start Menu -> Settings -> Updates & Security -> Windows updates -> Advanced Options -> View Update History and make a note of the recent updates.

Then Right-Click on This PC -> Properties -> System Protection and select a restoration point prior to the update that crashed you.

Then after the restore, and assuming you went far enough back that your system is working as before, then you can research the updates to learn about them. You can also create your own system restore points from System protection as described above, and install them one at a time, if successful, create another system restore point... and so on until you find which KB update is crashing you.

And if you can narrow it down, you are in good position to contact Microsoft to open a support line for resolution.

Good luck!

Cheers! Allan

Reaction score
Can you post your Computer specs for us?

Also, right click the start and in the "Run" box type Winver. It should say this if you are up to date:

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Andem,

Hopefully your system created a system restore point before you applied the updates. Assuming you have enough maneuverability, the first thing I would do is to view your update history Start Menu -> Settings -> Updates & Security -> Windows updates -> Advanced Options -> View Update History and make a note of the recent updates.

Then Right-Click on This PC -> Properties -> System Protection and select a restoration point prior to the update that crashed you.

Then after the restore, and assuming you went far enough back that your system is working as before, then you can research the updates to learn about them. You can also create your own system restore points from System protection as described above, and install them one at a time, if successful, create another system restore point... and so on until you find which KB update is crashing you.

And if you can narrow it down, you are in good position to contact Microsoft to open a support line for resolution.

Good luck!

Cheers! Allan
Ok, so I reverted back to before the update, but all of my programs and files are still broken.

Reaction score
Andem,

First and foremost, you need to get your computer stable enough to begin trouble shooting. You reported your computer was so unstable it was crashing left,right, and center. Have you restored to a point where it is stable?

Once you accomplish that, you can move forward.

Then the approach is to troubleshoot one program or issue at a time. I updated near 2 weeks ago and even today i just discovered, and remedied, a broken utility. But they are generally all fixable or an alternative is available. Just google about your specific problem like 'Windows 10 Upgrade broke netfilx' and your browser will return all sorts of support including hits here in 10Forums.

Hang in there. Cheers! Allan

Reaction score
Andem,

First and foremost, you need to get your computer stable enough to begin trouble shooting. You reported your computer was so unstable it was crashing left,right, and center. Have you restored to a point where it is stable?

Once you accomplish that, you can move forward.

Then the approach is to troubleshoot one program or issue at a time. I updated near 2 weeks ago and even today i just discovered, and remedied, a broken utility. But they are generally all fixable or an alternative is available. Just google about your specific problem like 'Windows 10 Upgrade broke netfilx' and your browser will return all sorts of support including hits here in 10Forums.

Hang in there. Cheers! Allan
I have no idea what I did, but it seems to be working fine now. :) Gjanks for the help!

Ask a Question