Solved

Discussion in 'Announcements, Suggestions and Feedback' started by davehc, Feb 7, 2018.

1. davehc

davehc

Just a thought for Ian to consider. Came after a recent extended thread, long after it was marked solved.

On a couple of other sites I visit, when a thread is marked "Solved", it is automatically closed for further posts. Maybe members reading this thread will have comments??

davehc, Feb 7, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. davehc

clifford_cooley

clifford_cooley, Feb 7, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. davehc

Ian Administrator

This has come up as a suggestion a few times over the years (on the previous 7 and 8 sites), but I think the benefits of leaving them open, outweigh closing them.

Partly for the reason that a member can mark a thread as solved and it would lock out previous posters from asking followup questions or adding their thoughts. Also, it is sometimes appropriate to post to an old or solved thread, particularly if new information is found (or it's a long running issue).

Ian, Feb 7, 2018
  4. davehc

5clint7

I agree. Don't lock it.

5clint7, Feb 7, 2018
  5. davehc

davehc

Ok Ian. Just lately, there have been a couple or so replies from newcomers, to thread which, in one case, was three years old. Just a bit of an irritant, nothing more.

davehc, Feb 7, 2018
  6. davehc

Norton

I think it's more beneficial to leave the threads open after being solved. It allows the OP and members to jump back IN if they have similar problems related to the OP

Norton, Feb 7, 2018
  7. davehc

bassfisher6522 Moderator

IMO....that's when you open a new thread.

bassfisher6522, Feb 7, 2018
    clifford_cooley, Trouble and davehc like this.
  8. davehc

davehc

Gotta go with Bass

davehc, Feb 7, 2018
  9. davehc

Ian Administrator

Yep, I agree that it would normally be a good idea to start a new thread most of the time - but there are occasions where it is appropriate to post to old ones, so I wouldn't want to prevent it entirely. I think we'd solve one problem, but create another.

Generally speak things work well 99% of the time, if someone does bump a really old post with something that should be a new thread, we can always move it to a new post (which will also alert the poster).

Ian, Feb 7, 2018
    Norton and clifford_cooley like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question