Solved

Reaction score
Just a thought for Ian to consider. Came after a recent extended thread, long after it was marked solved.

On a couple of other sites I visit, when a thread is marked "Solved", it is automatically closed for further posts. Maybe members reading this thread will have comments??

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
On a couple of other sites I visit, when a thread is marked "Solved", it is automatically closed for further posts. Maybe members reading this thread will have comments??

This has come up as a suggestion a few times over the years (on the previous 7 and 8 sites), but I think the benefits of leaving them open, outweigh closing them.

Partly for the reason that a member can mark a thread as solved and it would lock out previous posters from asking followup questions or adding their thoughts. Also, it is sometimes appropriate to post to an old or solved thread, particularly if new information is found (or it's a long running issue).

Reaction score
Partly for the reason that a member can mark a thread as solved and it would lock out previous posters from asking followup questions or adding their thoughts. Also, it is sometimes appropriate to post to an old or solved thread, particularly if new information is found (or it's a long running issue).
I agree. Don't lock it.

Reaction score
Ok Ian. Just lately, there have been a couple or so replies from newcomers, to thread which, in one case, was three years old. Just a bit of an irritant, nothing more.

Reaction score
I think it's more beneficial to leave the threads open after being solved. It allows the OP and members to jump back IN if they have similar problems related to the OP

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, I agree that it would normally be a good idea to start a new thread most of the time - but there are occasions where it is appropriate to post to old ones, so I wouldn't want to prevent it entirely. I think we'd solve one problem, but create another.

Generally speak things work well 99% of the time, if someone does bump a really old post with something that should be a new thread, we can always move it to a new post (which will also alert the poster).

Reaction score
Just a thought for Ian to consider. Came after a recent extended thread, long after it was marked solved.

Since this is not marked as Solved [even though it's relatively old] I'll throw in my 2 pennies worth. I'm starting to resist responding to any post marked as Solved [although I have put a few posts in them] as I feel I have nothing to offer as others won't read them. I also feel that since I don't have a pertinent question/problem it makes no sense to me to offer experiences that may help others for the same reason, probably won't be read. Case in point is the 3 computers I've fully Upgraded to Win10 Version 1903 today and the same PUBLISHED issue occurred in all 3 but having paid attention to what has been published allowed the Upgrades to complete.

If I had a choice I'd like to see 2 Solved buttons, one for Solved but left open and the other for Solved and Closed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Interesting.... somehow I missed this thread until I happened to notice Bighorn's reply today.
As I often post purely informational threads, especially in the Insider Forum as to new releases. I will generally mark them as solved, as they are not in a question format nor are they asking for help, although I often appreciate subsequent comments as to other members participation in the program and experience with a particular build.

Maybe I should do that, although it seemed like a good idea, perhaps it's not.

Reaction score
"Maybe I should do that, although it seemed like a good idea, perhaps it's not."
I agree with you, best stop doing it. But, if not marked solved, it does, also, lead to a situation where, although no further useful comments will be made, it remains , forum wise, unsolved.
The long thread on the release of the May update is a typical example. But in this particular case, perhaps it will be a long time before it is solved -LOL
I see that it has now branched into a couple of new threads on the same subject!

Ask a Question