SOLVED Solving System File Checker result problem

Reaction score
Running 'sfc /scannow' the result showed a corrupt file. Looking at the log I see:

Cannot repair member file [l:17]'Character Map.lnk' of Microsoft-Windows-charmap, version 10.0.18362.1, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, file cannot be checked.

The file is a .lnk file. What does it mean that the "file cannot be checked" and how do I resolve this issue ?

I can see the file in Fle Explorer and looking at its properties it shows that it is pointing to another file which does exist.

Reaction score
An .lnk file is usually a shortcut to another file such as the icons on the Desktop, usually created by the User and not actually part of the System files. The easy way to create is to right-click an .exe file and choose Send to and Desktop (create shortcut). I wouldn't worry about it.
1564968385280.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
An .lnk file is usually a shortcut to another file such as the icons on the Desktop, usually created by the User and not actually part of the System files. The easy way to create is to right-click an .exe file and choose Send to and Desktop (create shortcut). I wouldn't worry about it.
View attachment 10409

I as a user did not create the .lnk file, and I am worried because

1) I can not understand why the System File Checker would flag it like it does, given that on another system where I run Windows 10, and where the same file exists among the system files the the System File Checker does not flag it at all as an error.

2) I am encountering two serious problems on Windows 10, and one of the steps to solving the first of those serious problems was to run the System File Checker and make sure it runs to completion with no errors.

Reaction score
Might try this command before running sfc /scannow:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Reaction score
I solved this problem by copying 'Character Map.lnk' from another computer running Windows 10 to the location which was failing. Now when I run 'sfc /scannow' it ends with no errors.

Reaction score
I solved this problem by copying 'Character Map.lnk' from another computer running Windows 10 to the location which was failing. Now when I run 'sfc /scannow' it ends with no errors.
Where did you find 'Character Map.lnk'? I used the explorer search box in my entire SSD, All subfolders, and found nothing. I have another pc with 20H2 but different build, is that still a valid source for a replacement file, if I can ever find it? I'm trying to solve slow shutdown.

Ask a Question