Spinning circle on Surface after hours. Then Trusted Platform Module Enable/Disable

This was following the 'FREE' upgrade from 8.1 Pro to 10 .Now no run,no matter what I try to do.

• Any others had this problem ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • How do I resolve ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Trusted Platform Module Enable/Disable

Secure Boot Control Enable/Disable

Install Default Secure Boot Keys Yes/No

Delete All Secure Boot Keys Yes/No

Exit Setup

Windows 2 .15 .1226 Copyright (C ) 2012 American Megatrends, Inc.

Reaction score
I wonder if your machine has a TPM module installed? I did a little ( like just a quick skim over a Google page) research on this last night and if it does then it does need a setup process which involves going to the Bios.

If it does and it was enabled under W8.1 I think that you need to be very careful to not leave your HDD encrypted with no key or password...it was not clear from what I read exactly what to do.

Reaction score
Thanks Tom, I appreciate your time and effort but I believe I have tried to enable /disable every combination that I show below and it goes back to reading SURFACE briefly and the the same reappears . Maybe I'm wrong and haven't tried the right combination. It won't allow to attempt to Install Default Secure Boot Keys at all or if you choose Exit Setup.no change and the same setup questions appear. How can I attempt to do anything since it does not want to accept and run again ? Care to guess on any one action or several ? Again your help is deeply appreciated..

Trusted Platform Module Enable/Disable

Secure Boot Control Enable?Disable

Install Default Secure Boot Keys Yes/No

Delete All Secure Boot Keys Yes/No

Exit Setup Do Not Change Configuration

Windows 2 .15 .1226 Copyright (C ) 2012 American Megatrends, Inc

Last edited:
Reaction score
It might be helpful to supply a little more background information of the process involved, what messages you get when you start the system. What model of the Surface is it?

I am having trouble understanding how the TPM is involved since those normally only seem to be active or used on an enterprise system. There is one listed in my Device Manager but as far as I know it does not effect my system.

The surface seems to be a different animal when it comes to having problems but most systems will jump into the repair options if it won't start correctly. Maybe you will explain how you are getting to the options you list. I have never messed with any secure keys and I do not disable secure boot on my Windows 10 systems.

Ask a Question