SSD wiped itself now I can't uninstall Halo 5 forge

Reaction score
Title is my issue, here's the gist of what happened.

I went to update the firmware on my 2nd drive (SSD: A) and it wiped itself, honestly not a huge deal because it was just games. That left a bunch of ghost entries in my add/remove programs menu but it was an easy fix, just had to reinstall to uninstall completely so no big deal.

Well here's the thing, Halo 5 forge won't reinstall and everytime I go to uninstall I get hit with: https://image.prntscr.com/image/8Y0r3F0iRouPpkY8EyOKqw.png

The only place I can find it is in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT section but don't want to just start deleting things.

This is everything in the registry found via searching in regedit

https://image.prntscr.com/image/imife_doTnusTGR7e4njEA.png
https://image.prntscr.com/image/B4RMAcguSMCrG--yO2FYew.png
https://image.prntscr.com/image/NMjm98CvQ6SSu2M4q2fXFA.png

This is what it shows on the windows add/remove page:

https://image.prntscr.com/image/UxA5krxXRtm6iYhsUm3_TA.png
Now I've tried following this guide: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ve-programs-from-the-add-remove-programs-list and halo 5 forge doesn't show up, I've tried resetting my windows store cache and that doesn't work, tried reinstalling to the same drive and it doesn't finish, can't install to a different drive either.

I tried using the CCleaner uninstall or delete but the delete is greyed out and the uninstall doesn't work:
https://image.prntscr.com/image/x1nnbnmZS-SPNahvLoLDDg.png

I also tried removing it via powershell and that didn't work and was greeted with this error: https://image.prntscr.com/image/BkZTKm8aRHi5jRQyTcVwsA.png

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi NeverEndingXsin,

Welcome to the Forum.

From what you are describing, I'd say the issues center around the 68 KB file(s) remaining on your System.

Whether that is on your SSD or your HDD, I'm not sure, but you will need to locate it and delete it.

The sub-key named Appxqt6mwrths3730pz59nay50ks2kqv06fe in your HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT can be deleted as it will be pointing primarily to non existent directories and files. Right-click on the sub-key and select delete

As for the remaining files they may be in the SoftwareDistribution folder located at C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution if you downloaded the install files from Microsoft's Store.

If you did not do that, then they may be hidden inside a hidden $RECYCLE.BIN which may be on your SSD drive.

In File Explorer, navigate to SSD drive, then click File Explorer's View tab and check the Hidden items then double-left-click on Options to open the Folder Options window. In this window, click the View tab then remove check next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) and click Apply then OK

If the $RECYCLE.BIN does not appear there then there ought to be one on your root directory C:\

Once located, click to open, which ought to reveal the familiar Trash can icon and perhaps a few others. Click the top one to view contents and empty if anything is in there.

Once you have removed the Registry sub-key and that 68 KB file or files, you ought to be able to then be confident its completely gone, and if you want it back, download the installer again.

Reaction score
Hi NeverEndingXsin,

Welcome to the Forum.

From what you are describing, I'd say the issues center around the 68 KB file(s) remaining on your System.

Whether that is on your SSD or your HDD, I'm not sure, but you will need to locate it and delete it.

The sub-key named Appxqt6mwrths3730pz59nay50ks2kqv06fe in your HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT can be deleted as it will be pointing primarily to non existent directories and files. Right-click on the sub-key and select delete

As for the remaining files they may be in the SoftwareDistribution folder located at C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution if you downloaded the install files from Microsoft's Store.

If you did not do that, then they may be hidden inside a hidden $RECYCLE.BIN which may be on your SSD drive.

In File Explorer, navigate to SSD drive, then click File Explorer's View tab and check the Hidden items then double-left-click on Options to open the Folder Options window. In this window, click the View tab then remove check next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) and click Apply then OK

If the $RECYCLE.BIN does not appear there then there ought to be one on your root directory C:\

Once located, click to open, which ought to reveal the familiar Trash can icon and perhaps a few others. Click the top one to view contents and empty if anything is in there.

Once you have removed the Registry sub-key and that 68 KB file or files, you ought to be able to then be confident its completely gone, and if you want it back, download the installer again.
Thank you so much :)

I deleted the registry part and inside the C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution i found one folder that has all this in it: https://image.prntscr.com/image/Rn0l3FasSjKnF2qMw59tvg.png

But I have no way of knowing if it is indeed the Halo 5 forge stuff, the DeliveryOptimization folder has one folder inside that's 30.2GB which rounded to 31GB matches the size of the download for Halo 5 forge from the windows store, but I have no way of knowing if's the correct thing to delete.

As for the recycle bin, nothing inside either one that would be related to Halo 5.

Regedit32

Reaction score
It could be inside the DeliveryOptimization directory. But in your previous image that showed the Start > Settings > Apps, that image said there was 68 KB file

This Microsoft page explains what that Directory is for:

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10-windows-update-delivery-optimization

It ought to be safe to delete any content inside of it as you have installed or uninstalled the other programs, and its only the Halo game giving you trouble. So its quite likely that its in that Directory. Just delete all its contents.

Regedit32

Reaction score
After deleting the contents of the DeliveryOptimization directory, restart your computer and sign-in again then go take a look at Start > Settings > Apps and see whether or not Halo still is listed.

Reaction score
After deleting the contents of the DeliveryOptimization directory, restart your computer and sign-in again then go take a look at Start > Settings > Apps and see whether or not Halo still is listed.
Still there after deleting that directory.

I searched in regedit for Halo5 and found these:
Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Launch\PackageId\Microsoft.Halo5Forge_1.157.64802.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Protocol\PackageId\Microsoft.Halo5Forge_1.157.64802.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\MrtCache\C:%5CProgram Files%5CWindowsApps%5CMicrosoft.Halo5Forge_1.122.23342.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe%5Cresources.pri

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\MrtCache\C:%5CProgram Files%5CWindowsApps%5CMicrosoft.Halo5Forge_1.131.5612.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe%5Cresources.pri

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\MrtCache\C:%5CProgram Files%5CWindowsApps%5CMicrosoft.Halo5Forge_1.142.47762.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe%5Cresources.pri

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\MrtCache\C:%5CProgram Files%5CWindowsApps%5CMicrosoft.Halo5Forge_1.157.64802.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe%5Cresources.pri

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Mappings\S-1-15-2-696134374-33265785-2065080720-3455019919-3100006001-323292606-77967077

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.halo5forge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\PackageRepository\Extensions\ProgIDs\AppXqr6mwrths3730pz59nay50ks2kqv06fe

Also found this just searching my entire PC:
https://image.prntscr.com/image/55fm5gLbRDCToq0-SOiMrg.png

And this searching just the C drive:

https://image.prntscr.com/image/sCnUSs1DSaWFGmByaDgNrA.png

Reaction score
I think the issue is that because the SSD wiped itself and I had to format it that everything is still pointing in that direction and windows doesn't realize that all the Halo 5 forge files on that drive don't exist anymore which is why when I go to uninstall it can't find anything and just says the drive is offline. But at the same time I can't reinstall because it fails with an error and says it's done when it's really not.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yikes - I thought you just had that single sub-key.

Obviously not!

You'll need to delete these Microsoft.Halo5Forge sub-keys.

Given the number you need to delete and their location I will give you a different way to do this to ensure nothing goes wrong accidentally.
  • Attached is a REG file for you to download called RemoveHalo5Forge.reg
  • Download this file and check with your antivirus software its safe.
  • When you are happy its safe, right-click on RemoveHalo5Forge.reg and select Merge
  • You will now see three prompts:
    • Click Yes to the UAC Prompt
    • Click Yes to the Registry Warning Prompt
    • Click OK to the Registry Information Prompt
At this point those registry entries for Halo5Forge will now all be deleted

Now after doing that, you'll want to go to the location of those files on your C drive you found and delete those too!

You may be able to right-click and select Delete on each item in your search results

When you've done this, again restart the computer.

[Edit] I've deleted the attachment here because I forgot to put the Registry Header information in the file, which is why it did not work for you. Apologies about that mistake. A new copy is attached in my latest post to you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yikes - I thought you just had that single sub-key.

Obviously not!

You'll need to delete these Microsoft.Halo5Forge sub-keys.

Given the number you need to delete and their location I will give you a different way to do this to ensure nothing goes wrong accidentally.
  • Attached is a REG file for you to download called RemoveHalo5Forge.reg
  • Download this file and check with your antivirus software its safe.
  • When you are happy its safe, right-click on RemoveHalo5Forge.reg and select Merge
  • You will now see three prompts:
    • Click Yes to the UAC Prompt
    • Click Yes to the Registry Warning Prompt
    • Click OK to the Registry Information Prompt
At this point those registry entries for Halo5Forge will now all be deleted

Now after doing that, you'll want to go to the location of those files on your C drive you found and delete those too!

You may be able to right-click and select Delete on each item in your search results

When you've done this, again restart the computer.
https://image.prntscr.com/image/aONK9qC6S7W1aSrXoxlqEw.png

Do I need to just import it into the registry?

Regedit32

Reaction score
No you merge it

There may be a permissions issue because you are dealing with sub-keys all of which have a Parent key

Try opening the Registry Editor instead, and go to:

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Launch\PackageId

Then locate the sub-key named: Microsoft.Halo5Forge_1.157.64802.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
  • Right-click on Microsoft.Halo5Forge_1.157.64802.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe and select delete

If it allows you to delete this, then you'll need to manually go find the other instances of these sub-keys whose name begins Microsoft.Halo5Forge_ and right-click on them and select delete

Sorry I thought merging a REG file would save you the hassle.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you still cannot delete it manually, then you'll probably need to activate the Built-in Administrator account, which ought to have sufficient privileges to do this.
  • Press Windows key + S
  • In search field type command
  • In search results right-click on Command Prompt and select run as administrator
  • Click yes to the UAC prompt
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
net user Administrator /active:yes

Press Enter key to execute the command which will activate the Built-in Administrator account​
  • Now type exit and press Enter key to close the console
  • Next, right-click on Start and select Shut down or sign out > Sign out
  • You'll be back at your logon screen. Here select the Administrator and click Sign-in
  • As you have just activated this account you probably will see the Hi greeting from Microsoft. Just let it do its thing until it gets to the built-in Administrator's Desktop.
  • Now open the Registry Editor and manually locate those sub-keys with names starting as Microsoft.Halo5Forge_ and right-click on these and select Delete
Assuming that works, then when done deleting each of them, close the Registry Editor and restart computer, then select your usual account and sign-in

All going well you will then finally be rid of Halo 5 and ready to re-install if you so choose to.​

Regedit32

Reaction score
I need to get going at this point, so hopefully one or the other manual options will work for you.

Report back on any success or failure, and I'll follow up later today if needed.

If all goes well, mark the thread as solved.

Good luck! :)

Reaction score
No you merge it

There may be a permissions issue because you are dealing with sub-keys all of which have a Parent key

Try opening the Registry Editor instead, and go to:

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Launch\PackageId

Then locate the sub-key named: Microsoft.Halo5Forge_1.157.64802.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
  • Right-click on Microsoft.Halo5Forge_1.157.64802.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe and select delete

If it allows you to delete this, then you'll need to manually go find the other instances of these sub-keys whose name begins Microsoft.Halo5Forge_ and right-click on them and select delete

Sorry I thought merging a REG file would save you the hassle.
That's fine :) ctrl+f works wonders for that.

Just one question, i've deleted everything but this:

Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2414180506-2138192799-620490379-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit

which contains this: https://image.prntscr.com/image/Mcm_VHKdTs_ts5dXmu7v7A.png
With this inside: https://image.prntscr.com/image/Je1FPBRAS3CECtp1GKQtVA.png

Should I delete just the "lastkey" part? Or the entire thing?

Regedit32

Reaction score
If that is in the sub-key named SysTray then delete the SysTray

By the way I returned because I realised I made a mistake with that REG file I sent you.

I forgot to give it a Registry Header, hence you got that error message.

Attached is the same file with the required Header!

I'll delete the other attachment before signing out.

Sorry about that!

Attachments

• RemoveHalo5Forge.reg
    1.4 KB · Views: 620
Reaction score
If that is in the sub-key named SysTray then delete the SysTray

By the way I returned because I realised I made a mistake with that REG file I sent you.

I forgot to give it a Registry Header, hence you got that error message.

Attached is the same file with the required Header!

I'll delete the other attachment before signing out.

Sorry about that!
No it's in the subkey Regedit so in that case i'll just leave it be I assume?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Ahh ok.

In that case yes leave that Regedit sub-key alone. i.e. Do not delete it!

That LastKey string you see is just a record of the Last key the System accessed. That will change in due course as the System or you access a different key.

So assuming you deleted all the sub-keys which started Microsoft.Halo5Forge_ and you also deleted those files on your C drive you ought to be ready to restart the computer and all going well Halo 5 will be gone.

Reaction score
Ahh ok.

In that case yes leave that Regedit sub-key alone. i.e. Do not delete it!

That LastKey string you see is just a record of the Last key the System accessed. That will change in due course as the System or you access a different key.

So assuming you deleted all the sub-keys which started Microsoft.Halo5Forge_ and you also deleted those files on your C drive you ought to be ready to restart the computer and all going well Halo 5 will be gone.

Good news is it no longer shows it taking up any space, bad news is it still thinks it's installed.

https://image.prntscr.com/image/XUja_EPEQIuq2ajufp1QQQ.png

It does not however show up on CCleaner's uninstall list, only the microsoft one.

Here is what it shows on the windows store page: https://image.prntscr.com/image/Nz8UOIcARlmIe6mCKdOmrw.png

Should I try redownloading it?

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
That is really strange.

The App list in settings must in part be interconnected with the Store, but looking at your Store image, it does not appear to be offering your the opportunity to Download it again, as it still thinks you have it installed.

Perhaps you need to go to Store then click the Account icon in the Store and Sign-out, then sign-in again to allow it to refresh itself.

If that makes no difference you could try using an elevated Windows PowerShell console to execute the remove command for the Halo, which presumably will do nothing given you all ready deleted the files, but it might update the Store so that it does not think its installed.
  • Press windows key + S
  • In the search field type powershell
  • In the search results right-click on Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator
  • Click yes to the UAC prompt
  • In the Administrator: Windows PowerShell console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Halo5* | Remove-AppxPackage

Press Enter key to execute, then close the console

I suspect you will get an error with this given you all ready deleted files and registry values, but it may still help clear the Store's record for you.

Once you have tried both those ideas, then yes, see whether or not you can download and install it.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If nothing works, and you still end up with that error, you may be able to work-around the issue but using a Temporary User Account.

I published an Article on how and what to do, some time ago, for a specific Error code some Users got when trying to download apps from the Store. While that error code is nothing to do with your issue, the principal of creating a Temporary User Account so as to go to Store and download what you want, and install it, will probably work.

Article: https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/how-to-resolve-the-error-0x8e5e0408-in-windows-store.46/

Ask a Question