SSD wiped itself now I can't uninstall Halo 5 forge

Reaction score
That is really strange.

The App list in settings must in part be interconnected with the Store, but looking at your Store image, it does not appear to be offering your the opportunity to Download it again, as it still thinks you have it installed.

Perhaps you need to go to Store then click the Account icon in the Store and Sign-out, then sign-in again to allow it to refresh itself.

If that makes no difference you could try using an elevated Windows PowerShell console to execute the remove command for the Halo, which presumably will do nothing given you all ready deleted the files, but it might update the Store so that it does not think its installed.
  • Press windows key + S
  • In the search field type powershell
  • In the search results right-click on Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator
  • Click yes to the UAC prompt
  • In the Administrator: Windows PowerShell console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Halo5* | Remove-AppxPackage

Press Enter key to execute, then close the console

I suspect you will get an error with this given you all ready deleted files and registry values, but it may still help clear the Store's record for you.

Once you have tried both those ideas, then yes, see whether or not you can download and install it.
Same error as in my original post, say's the volume is offline.

When I click play in the windows store nothing happens, it just sits.

I may try the 2nd user account thing, but at this point I think I may debate going back to my system restore point from before I deleted the registry stuff just to get things back to a somewhat normal state. Because I'm starting to think that to really fix things I may need to just reformat and reinstall windows, and sadly I don't want to play the game that badly to do that.

The restore would really just be to reset things in case a viable solution comes out in the future, thoughts on that?

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
That is fine if you prefer to reset to the state it was in prior to trying to resolve things.

Anything is worth a shot at this point.

You could consider downloading a Windows.iso image that matches your current installed version of Windows, then right-click on that and select Mount, then when the mounted image opens click the Setup.exe to perform an in-place upgrade, which is essentially re-installing Windows 10 over the top of itself. When you do this, one of the screens during that process allows you to keep files and settings, if you want to keep certain items.

Otherwise, you could create a bootable DVD or thumb drive from the image, and boot the computer from this, then after initially clicking the Next button, then in the bottom left corner of screen click the Repair link which would take you to the Advanced Recovery Screen where you could see what may work there to improve things.

If you are going to format and clean install, you may want to consider doing that with the SSD too, to make sure there are no remnants sitting on that drive that may re-create issues.

Reaction score
That is fine if you prefer to reset to the state it was in prior to trying to resolve things.

Anything is worth a shot at this point.

You could consider downloading a Windows.iso image that matches your current installed version of Windows, then right-click on that and select Mount, then when the mounted image opens click the Setup.exe to perform an in-place upgrade, which is essentially re-installing Windows 10 over the top of itself. When you do this, one of the screens during that process allows you to keep files and settings, if you want to keep certain items.

Otherwise, you could create a bootable DVD or thumb drive from the image, and boot the computer from this, then after initially clicking the Next button, then in the bottom left corner of screen click the Repair link which would take you to the Advanced Recovery Screen where you could see what may work there to improve things.

If you are going to format and clean install, you may want to consider doing that with the SSD too, to make sure there are no remnants sitting on that drive that may re-create issues.
Would the fresh start utility in windows 10 be very similar to a clean install? My system restore points aren't working and it's throwing this error: https://image.prntscr.com/image/e1gaY-EUS32KBWyk3rQ64A.png

Already tried disabling anti virus software, trying the sfc can now. I have a bootable USB recovery drive but if i can do within windows 10 i may do that.

EDIT: System restore worked in safemode.

At least the store is back to showing this: https://image.prntscr.com/image/hl5VWyT_S7SDmkwcgHsgTA.png

Though it still shows the game as installed (only went back to right before you started helping me)

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well at least you know you can try various things and return to a known state if nothing works.

I take it, the option to reinstall fails though - for the time being

If that is the case, what would happen if you left the registry alone, but concentrated on those Halo files you found on your C drive. Perhaps removing some or all of them, then using Store would work?!

Ask a Question