SOLVED Start and Search not working after upgrading to build 10162

Reaction score
Yep sported this as soon as I installed 10166... already reported and given feedback to MS. I found a further 11 issues with 10166.

One thing I will advise. DO NOT increase the size of the start menu because you will not get it back to default. It's a bug that MS are aware of and will be resolved in the next build. The problem with fixing bugs... it's a vicious circle because fix one problem and you end up with 10 othjer problems that you didn't have before. It happens but they will sort it out before release date so don't worry.

Reaction score
Correction.
It is my mistake for using Elevated Command Prompt instead of Powershell.
Thank you davehc for pointing it out.

In the Start search box, type powershell > at the top left, right click at Windows PowerShell > select Run As Admin

View attachment 355
I love PoiwerShell Although, use with caution! If you do not know anything about Windows PowerShell then read this article... (I would highly recommend anybody who does not know anything about Window PowerShell to read the link that I have provided because you can break your OS if you do not know what you are doing.) http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4307.powershell-for-beginners.aspx

Reaction score
Just upgraded to 10166 and the start menu now opens again. Notification and search works as well.

It works but it has caused another problem. Have you tried adjusting the size of the start menu. If you do you cannot get it back to the default size and it opens and closes very fast so you don't get a chance to click on anything. Tomorrow I will do a refresh as it only has minimal software installed on my tablet.

Reaction score
You should have stared a new thread, as this is off topic. But. I had some initial problems with this, until I found that I had to close ALL open windows in order to manipulate the start menu size. It is a little buggy as, in my case, I could only do it quite slowly and, sometimes, in small increments.

Reaction score
[RESOLVED] Yes I should have started a new thread... Sorry about that.

I sorted by reinstalling with a clean install. If this is the path that Microsoft are going to take... it's going to be a nightmare to install Windows 10 (Update) on July 29.

10166 is much better and a lot more stable after a clean install. 10177 is out but I wouldn't advise on upgrading because it is riddle with issues and bugs...

Last edited:

Ask a Question